Better Draft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big86inthestixx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have got a question for you. I just bought my house 1 year ago, with the wood furnace add on in it. I have owned wood add ons my whole life, mostly clayton, and they all drafted nice, i could open the door on the stove and load it with little or no smoke leaking out. All of those stoves only had a total of 90* in the exhaust pipe which were all 6 inch schedule 40 pipe, which worked awesome.
Now the new house with the DAKA stove in it has a 6 inch square clay chimney in it, and it has a total of 180* of exhaust bends in it. Which consists of 2-45* pipe stove pipe elbows, and the one 90* which is of course at the base of the chimney. So every time i open this stove, even with a window open, it puffs soo much smoke out it'll set the smoke alarms off. And it just keeps comming out, so i need to close the door between each log i put in.
Should i/would it be worth my time to rotate the stove and lift it so that there is only 90* worth of exhaust? Or is the 6" clay chimney too small?

P.S. This doesnt change very much at all when i clean the chimney either.Which I do about every 3-4 weeks just to be safe b/c of the poor venting/drafting.
Thanks for the help..

How tall is the chimney? And 6" should be fine for the furnace. If that chimneys too short, you won't get proper draft. Also if the chimney has a cleanout at the base, make sure it is sealed properly, as well with the flue. I'm sure if everything else checks out, I would do like you are saying and rotate the furnace to give a better draft, with as few elbows as possible.

The chimney itself pokes up 36" above my 18 foot peak, which is 21' and there is no clean out. Which is another thing that sucks, every 3-4 weeks when i clean it out i have to remove all the pipe from the stove to the chimney then sweep the chimney and reassemble it.
Sounds like the rotation is my best bet.

do you have a outside air intake??? you may be creating a vacuum inside the house---if your house is tight--and when you open the door--smoke kick back----been there--

Latest posts

Back