Bicycle bandsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems I remember the Shakers built some monster bandsaws way back when and I remember they All had wooden wheels that held up just fine. Also Popular Mechanics had some bandsaw plans back in the 1940's that used wooden wheels and welded pipe fittings for the frame. Not much is new out there. Many Large old European bandsaws only had one set of blade guides made from wood on the leading edge above the board to be cut. I probably would still opt for two sets to minimize twisting.

I figure it would have to be stored indoors though to avoid moisture which might warp the wheels or weaken the glue. Also the wheels would probably have to be turned on the hub to be accurate and possibly balanced, but all of this seems doable.

Last edited:
This sounds like a fun idea... things to remember:
For a person to develop 1hp, it take somebody in pretty good shape, and you have to do this for the length of time it takes to cut a log.
Americans generally need more exercise (Me for sure).
It will take an additional person to move the log / saw, unless you are really clever and rig up something.
When you get it working, you can probably change out the motor for an electric or gas one.
Rubber "V" belts will take HP out of the motor, so if that is at a premium, use a chain or cogged belt.
Always post pictures so we can oogle and suggest solutions... your project is fun for us too.

many years ago i worked with a shipwright with a bandsaw with wooden wheels worked really well , and we even cut stainless steel with it , changed the blade for that . point is a lot of shop made machines ,do the job just fine if you can tune them . and have the time , looking at some wheel chair wheels , possibility ? happy cutting bob

I would think that the tension that would be needed to hold the blade under would be too much for most bike wheels. Also I don't think bike wheels are designed to take too much side forces, bikes lean to turn rather than have sideways forces placed in them

Beat me to it. The band tension you would need would collapse the bicycle wheels. Even motorcycle wheels couldn't take the stress.

Mark

something like this ???

:laugh: :laugh:
attachment.php

:monkey:wt:censored: tom trees

I built my own mill some 18 years ago, back before Al Gore invented the internet. Lots of trial & error, as you couldn't just go online & ask. I had a 24" cast wheel blow up [too much strain, too many rpm] and a few dozen blades [ 16' 6"] let go over the years. Whatever you all decide to build, PUT GOOD GUARDS ON IT! Someone says "Oh, I've broke blades on my 14" saw before" well, it's not even close to having an 1 1/2 X 16 footer let go at 5000 fpm. None of us really want to come on here and read how someone [or their friend or child] lost body parts because something failed. There are a thousand reasons the big mfgs. mills are built so well, one of the top ones being saftey. My 2 cents says leave the bike's where they belong, the frames & wheels are just too light to make a bandmill from.

"mag wheels" from late 70s and later vintage motorcycles might be up to the task, and are plentiful if you know where to look for them. They will also accept tubless tires. Tires for use with sidecar are normally a vary square profile, so should be a better choice than typical motorcycle tires.

There are some incredibly strong bike wheels out there. I would try either a mountain bike wheel or one from a beach cruiser style bicycle. Cool idea I would love to see pics.

for a super strong wheel at a great price look right here:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1034193_-1_400038_400002_400219

commonly used as the best "budget" option for dirtjumping, freeride and downhill racing. good quality cartridge bearings in the hub.

if that isn't tough enough, and you need something truly bombproof they are available (visit www.chrisking.com) but the price goes through the roof.

Back