Big Brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trouba

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New ordnance Linn county Iowa.

http://www.kgan.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kgan_vid_1047.shtml

It's a hot debate we've been following from the beginning. Now the board of supervisors has voted "not" to ban outdoor stoves, sort of.

Linn County health officials have been wanting to put a lid on a smoky issue since winter.

They considered banning these outdoor wood burning stoves altogether, citing the environment and health issues.

Owners of the stoves were outraged.

"All we're trying to do is save some money that's the only reason we did this," Wood Burner, Bill Porter said back in March.

Supervisor Linda Langston says she's heard all sides of the issue. From asthma sufferers who say the smoke is harmful -- to homeowners like Bill Porter trying to save money in Iowas cold winters. It was tough to find a middle ground.

"This was sort of a compromised solution. If people had it their way it'd be like go away, don't mess with us we just want to have our outdoor boilers," Langston said.

But when the smoke cleared, it ultimately came down to money.

"DNR said if you do this you will likely lose your air-quality division, she said. "That means people like ADM, Cargill, Quaker don't have someone who works with them to keep them in compliance."

Langston says the d-n-r doesn't have the money or staff to keep track of big businesses who make big money for the county.

"We bring in money and we help business," Langston added.

So we asked her if they only had the businesses at heart and not the homeowners trying to save money on heat.

"That's where I go back to the manufacturers the manufacturers have the obligation to be honest in their advertisements and many of them are. that's why they're selling phase 1 and phase 2 burners," she said.

Supervisors say the outdoor wood burners have three years to come into compliance with state and federal regulations.

"We have no idea who would or who wouldn't be in compliance because thats nothing we've ever tracked before, Langston said.

Enforcing the new ordinance will be a whole new obstacle.

Supervisors say nothing is being banned. People may still have and use their outdoor wood boilers.

They are required to bring them into compliance within 3 years. There is no ban on wood burning.
Supervisors James Houser, Ben Rogers and Linda Langston voted in favor of the ordinance and Brent Oleson voted no.

so they are not banned. you just have three years to 'bring them into compliance'. What does that mean? current technology that maybe did not exist when stove was built, or may not exist in kit form to retrofit?

sort of like applying todays CARB regs to my 1995 minivan.....

Help an indoor stove guy understand here. What are "Phase 1 and 2" OWBs? I'm guessing they are cleaner burning, but how is it accomplished?

My take on the whole woodburning ban movement, be it woodstoves, OWBs, or backyard campfires, is that it should be dealt with on a case by case basis, and not blanket bans. I cannot see the logic in penalizing the person who is a responsible burner using dry wood for the actions of the guy throwing green limbs into an OWB, dousing them with the oil he just drained out of the family minivan, and smoking out the neighborhood.

Gezz and this is coming out of the cedar rapids area, that town stinks, literally guys, it's bad i'm sorry. I can see regulation in towns but my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road.

I can't understand why regulators allowed the OWB's to be sold in the first place if they knew they would smoke out a neighborhood and cause smoke related health issues.These machines needed to be refined more before being allowed to sell on the open market.The new woodstoves produce little or no smoke and have come a long way from the smoke dragons of the past.With the OWB's they wound the clock backwards.

from Dept of Justice

Thomas J. Miller
Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division

Wrote us a letter.
This is not the entire letter ...just excerpts...

I am writting you about the concerns our office has about the sale of OWB's in Iowa.
Primarily how Iowans can lawfully use your Co.'s product within our law.
It is fraud to mis represent your product.
( they list several consumer fraud laws)

IT HAS COME TO OUR ATTENTION AT LEAST SOME OF THE SELLERS OR MANUFACTURES OF OWB'S MAY HAVE MISREPRESTED THE EXTENT TO WHICH USE OF A PARTICULAR owb COMPLIES WITH EMMISION STANDARDS FOR AIR CONTAMINANTS,FOUND AT 567 iOWA aDMINISTRATIVE cODE 23.3(3), AND THE NEW LAWS,REGS OR ORDINANCES APPLICABLE IN A PAERTICULAR IOWA COMMUNITY OR COUNTY. IN FACT SOME SALESHAVE BEEN MADE TO CONSUMERS WHO MAY NOT LEGALLY USE OWB'S WHERE THEY LIVE.

Atlantic has banned them entirely. _Polk and Linn County have adopted specific air quality standards which apply to the use of the OWB that may be more stringent than those stated in the Iowa Admin Code.

The letter goes on & on about how we either meet the guidelines or be subject to litigation.
We do not build them so there's no need for us to act,but the point is that they are looking to put pressure on manufactures to comply with their new standards.

One local town is regulating them now. Nobody cared for years, until some idiot started burning tires and any other garbage he could get his hands on. Then the neighbors started complaining.

xrayman is right, Cedar Rapids STINKS. Cargill and ADM keep it stinking by cooking grains. The steam pours out the pipes and causes 0 visibility on the highway and in the winter puts down a real nice coating of ice. I will bet they don't ban people from eating Cheerios ! I don't have any stats but I am sure more people have died in motor vehicle accidents because of ADM and Cargill pumping stinking steam onto the highway in the middle of winter than have ever died from smelling a little bit of smoke from an OWB.
What needs to be done is have a OWB manfacturer come to town and build a manufacturing facility. Hire about 100 employees and our genius governor will give them all the tax breaks you can imagine and welcome them to the state with open arms. Then have the manufacturer threaten to close up shop because they can't sell their product in Cedar Rapids, the town the thing was built in, because some freaks ##### about the smell of smoke.
Our new state slogan should read: IOWA, THE ELM CROTCH OF AMERICA.

Thomas J. Miller
Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division

Wrote us a letter.
This is not the entire letter ...just excerpts...

I am writting you about the concerns our office has about the sale of OWB's in Iowa.
Primarily how Iowans can lawfully use your Co.'s product within our law.
It is fraud to mis represent your product.
( they list several consumer fraud laws)

IT HAS COME TO OUR ATTENTION AT LEAST SOME OF THE SELLERS OR MANUFACTURES OF OWB'S MAY HAVE MISREPRESENTED THE EXTENT TO WHICH USE OF A PARTICULAR OWB COMPLIES WITH EMISSION STANDARDS FOR AIR CONTAMINANTS,FOUND AT 567 IOWA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE 23.3(3), AND THE NEW LAWS, REGS OR ORDINANCES APPLICABLE IN A PARTICULAR IOWA COMMUNITY OR COUNTY. IN FACT SOME SALES HAVE BEEN MADE TO CONSUMERS WHO MAY NOT LEGALLY USE OWB'S WHERE THEY LIVE.

Atlantic has banned them entirely. _Polk and Linn County have adopted specific air quality standards which apply to the use of the OWB that may be more stringent than those stated in the Iowa Admin Code.

The letter goes on & on about how we either meet the guidelines or be subject to litigation.
We do not build them so there's no need for us to act,but the point is that they are looking to put pressure on manufactures to comply with their new standards.

I highlighted where they are talking about marketing and sales. This is where it applies to your company. You may not be building them, but you are marketing them and the tactics that your salesman use reflect on the company as a whole. I'm not saying you or your sales team is doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that you can't disregard that letter as not being applicable to you.

Ian

I highlighted where they are talking about marketing and sales. This is where it applies to your company. You may not be building them, but you are marketing them and the tactics that your salesman use reflect on the company as a whole. I'm not saying you or your sales team is doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that you can't disregard that letter as not being applicable to you.

Ian

We are the manufacturer and we do not build nor market them.

One local town is regulating them now. Nobody cared for years, until some idiot started burning tires and any other garbage he could get his hands on. Then the neighbors started complaining.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Burn clean dry wood and don't try to choke the fire down to last all night and they burn quite clean with very little smoke. It's the people that burn asphalt shingles, tires, used oil, etc that are messing it up for everyone.

Neighbor half mile from me lives in a valley and some days when there is a thermal inversion his smoke fills the valley. It is not right for him to fill 10-20 of his neighbor's houses with smoke just so he can save a few pennies. He is a junk wood burner to boot even though he lives on several hundred acres of prime forest and is a farmer, so he has tools to move and process firewood.

One idiot like him ruins it for everyone.

We are the manufacturer and we do not build nor market them.

I'm a little confused.. you manufacture them but you don't build them? Those two terms are synonyms by my understanding. :) Or do you mean that you are a subcontractor that works for the parent company, doing the welding and such to their specifications, so you have no direct liability for their claims.

Ian

Edit... your signature line says that you sell them, you say that you're the manufacturer, and the letter is directly addressed to "SELLERS OR MANUFACTURES OF OWBs". How is it not applicable to you?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused.. you manufacture them but you don't build them? Those two terms are synonyms by my understanding. :) Or do you mean that you are a subcontractor that works for the parent company, doing the welding and such to their specifications, so you have no direct liability for their claims.

Ian

Edit... your signature line says that you sell them, you say that you're the manufacturer, and the letter is directly addressed to "SELLERS OR MANUFACTURES OF OWBs". How is it not applicable to you?

I agree Haywire, kinda talking out both sides. "We do but We dont"

Back