Big Pine Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a Big Pine Removal to do tomarrow. It was hit by lightning last year. Lightning ran down the middle of it . Made a ditch in the yard and blew a chunk of pavement out of the road. The tree seems to be pretty sound. I'm going to have to pice it and lower it with rigging. Might be able to drop the stalk up into the yard with a pull line. Any advice? Thanks,BB

I've heard too many horror stories about lightning struck pines killing climbers to ever feel good about them. Watch out for the vert cracks. I'd make sure to climb with the AFC set up as shown in the sherrill catalog and discussed on here in the event of a split you should be able to bail out fairly safely.
I'm dropping a big pine tomorrow. Just setting a pull line and cutting at the bottom --its a no climb Saturday!!! The pine and a small orange tree removal are scheduled.
Greg

Just this morning I was reading an article about a lightning struck tree, in an old issue of TCI. It is very relative to this discussion, so I scanned it for you. Stay safe!
-Sean

Yes. Lightning can expolsively ignite the moisture within the heartwood and blow-open a non-detectable linear crack but if enough life is present up top many times these cracks repair, but don't take my word for it. Caution caution caution.

Another thing entered my mind - although I'm opposed to the "eradication and control" efforts of the State of Fla. for citrus blight and canker, as long as science behaves the way they do for epidemic avoidance (yeah right, like removals are working effectively), I would cash-in on the programs. Get out there and work the extension offices, city parks depts, and reality groups, etc. Offer reduced rates for area-wide removals. Neighborhood groups, talk with them or organize meetings - lower rates (I know you can do this) and get busy. These people are shocked, upset and depressed they're losing some valuable trees so walk gently and offer group discounts.

I took down 3 dead pines today, not a hard day at all. With all 3, I was able to set a pull line in the top with my BigShot before climbing up. Then I just climbed up within 30' of the top, tied in and threw the top with a groundman pulling it over. No rigging today. :( I didn't get to play with all my toys.

When rigging dead pines, stay in as fat of wood as you can with your rigging and lifelines. I will set my rigging line on the trunk at about 6"-8"+ diameter if possible, and tie in 3'-5' below that on the opposite side of the trunk. Don't rig too big of a piece, but that's easy because the dead pine limbs are relatively light.

If you can, leave as much brush as possible on the sections you pull over into the yard. The brush will cushion the impact so the logs don't make as big of an indent.

I don't venture out too far on dead pine limbs. I like staying at the trunk. I like bringing up two fliplines/lanyards and alternating as I go over limbs on my ascent. A double-ended lanyard would work the same.

lightning strikes

A 123' White pine I did a few year back was hit by lightning and only 17' at the base was not split five ways vertically. No need for the log splitter on this one as it was cut it dropped off in five, pie shaped pieces. I wrapped rope around the trunk like you would whip the end of a rope, about every 20' up the tree just in case it wanted to split with me in it. It is not just pine that do this. I did a 103' walnut that was hit and it split three ways to the ground, with the top 25' blown out of the tree, there was no guessing this one had a vertical splits. The lightning struck trees don't always show they have a vertical split or multiple splits as the bark is not always split. Best to assume if it was hit by lightning it has a split and work from that. I got more than 1000 board feet of good walnut planks out of that tree in my garage aging till I have time to make furniture out of it.

Something to also keep in mind is that decay can penetrate into the middle of the tree along the lightening cracks. The longer the remain after the strike, the more hazardous they can become.

I've got a client with such a tree. It looks healthy (to them), so they will not remove it. I told them verbally, then sent a letter, but they won't budge on it. With prvailing winds, it would fall on a fairly busy road in a residential neighborhood.

Anybody have a good way to convince this type of head-in-the-sand customer of what's in their best interests? (Certified letter?)

Pretty much anything I can think of would be construed as either a personal attack or high-pressure sales tactics. If you have offered your opinion and they have dismissed it, leave it alone. Anything more and you can pretty much write them off for any future work. If you push it, they will dig in their heels and hate you at the same time. :(

Good point. I guess what I'm worried about (and didn't express it too well), is potential liablility falling on me when the tree falls on someone else. Maybe a bit paranoid, but i've heard stories of guys getting sued over such things, maybe I need some kind of paper record?

won't budge

Did you speak with their home owners insurance guy? A lot of folks here have had their insurance rate increased for not removing a bad tree. Some have been told their policy will not be renewed if the tree does not go. When they have been warned of the hazzardous tree the insurance co. will call and tell the home owner to have it removed or lose coverage when it comes down and causes damage. It is a liability risk issue for their insurer who would not want to have addtional risks that could be avoided. Once warned it is a negligence issue that attorneys love to make money on. Oh, so Mr. Homeowner knew it was a hazzard and did nothing to correct it. To an attorney that smells like big bucks, to the insuruance guys that means BIG liabilities. If they find out you were warned and did nothing to correct it Mr. Homeowner, you are left holding the bag. Next question is, How deep are your pockets?

A customer told me a story about how she got snotty with her ins guy called him up demanding that the ins co pay to remove a huge dead live oak over her house that an arborist said is a hazard and must come down. The insurance guy said thanks for letting us know, due to the fact that it has not fallen it is not the insurance companys problem, and based on the fact that she is so positive that it is a hazard to the dwelling she must have it removed or they will have to cancel her policy. Cost her $3000.00 for the removal.

When customers get cheap in these situations I like to tell them that there are 2 things that can happen when a tree fails over a home. It can fall on top of the house, then you will need to call your ins co, a tree guy, and a roofer. The second thing that can happen is the tree falling through the house, then you would need to proably call 911 first because someone might be dead.
Greg

All went well.

I beat that pine in 2hrs. Not bad considering I had to do alot of explaining to the ground guy's. I pretty much let everything go. Some of the stuff I had to hindge, but still not to bad. I ended up taking a limb out of a choke cherry with one of the tops. After I was finished I had to climb the choke cherry and flush the limb up. Can't even notice it now. I left 10ft of the stalk and two leaders. Made it look like a cactous. She's going to plat ivy on it. I told her pine might not last as long as you want. She said alright. That she'd take her chances. Take it easy,BB

PS The costumers were good family friends.:D

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Nobody mentioned the use of guy ropes to give additional support to the tree. :(
It can be a very effective tool for removing dead trees.

Your avatar should have guys in it.

About liability....you HAVE to notify the homeowner in writing if you saw a hazard tree. If the tree is marginal, write it up. When the judge hears you were on site sometime before a failure, you're getting subpoenaed and asked why you didn't do something about it. Safe than sorry principle applies.

If I was the homeowner, I certainly would want to know about it.

Nickrosis

Back