Bigger Saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay I'm in the market for a new bigger saw. The ones I use for my main saws for ground work right now are; Husky 365 w/a 20" & 24" bar and an older Ms361 w/a 20" bar which is fine for the tree work I do in my area and for the milling I've just got hooked on! I was thinking of getting a 372 xp, but thats only a few cc's more then my 365. Now that I am milling a 395 xp was suggested, and kinda what I'm leaning towards now. Just a few questions for everyone using the 395xp. Is it going to feel to heavy after a while or am going overboard getting something that big? I know a lot of you guys are using the 394/395. I was looking at the 385xp as well. But if I'm going to go big should I just go for the 395? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated (husky only)
Thanks!:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
how big are the trees you wanting to cut ..........you could put a big bore 372 on the 365 it will pull longer bar and its a cheap upgrade

how big are the trees you wanting to cut ..........you could put a big bore 372 on the 365 it will pull longer bar and its a cheap upgrade
Got a few big oaks and maples to come down in the next few weeks. The oak is about 3' across at the bottom of the tree. I also want to mill some of the oak up as well.:dizzy:

Got a few big oaks and maples to come down in the next few weeks. The oak is about 3' across at the bottom of the tree. I also want to mill some of the oak up as well.:dizzy:

That there spells out 395xp. get the biggest you can, if you ever get into big wood milling, you need all you can get. I use 394xp, and it works great.

That there spells out 395xp. get the biggest you can, if you ever get into big wood milling, you need all you can get. I use 394xp, and it works great.

Thanks, I was kind of waiting for you or Nailsbeats to answer me back. In the mean time, just picked up 3 other jobs, I'll have it paid off in no time!:greenchainsaw:

Thanks, I was kind of waiting for you or Nailsbeats to answer me back. In the mean time, just picked up 3 other jobs, I'll have it paid off in no time!:greenchainsaw:

Ha ha, good deal. I also just put my name out there for custom milling, once I get my Ripsaw running good, and I already have 2 jobs that people want me to do.

Ya, about the big saw. I was milling yesterday and had about 30" burried in the cedar, its a softwood and cuts easy, but it pulled through that no problem. You relly don't want to get something that wont cut it. I'd rather have a heaiver mill/csm setup then something lighter that wont cut. And your hardly ever have to carry it anyway, most of the time its just sitting on the log. And if you aim the log down hill it will work to your advantage having a heaiver mill.

Oh, and with a 36" bar on it, you can do very large logs with that. Your cut width will be about 33" and you can easily do a 36" log with it. Once you slab the 4 sides off it, its down enough in size you can now take a full size cut with it. The log I'm working on now is 32" at the but, and I only have a 33" bar on it, it has no trouble tackeling the job.

Great

Oh, and with a 36" bar on it, you can do very large logs with that. Your cut width will be about 33" and you can easily do a 36" log with it. Once you slab the 4 sides off it, its down enough in size you can now take a full size cut with it. The log I'm working on now is 32" at the but, and I only have a 33" bar on it, it has no trouble tackeling the job.

I'll likely be putting in the order shortly!

I would get a 395xp if I already had a 361. I just think the 361 and 372 are too close in size. Plus I'll bet most of the time you can get by with the 361 for your main saw, but if you need a 395 then a 372 might come up short.
Why not get the 395 and convert your 365 to 372?

Back