Biggest tree I've ever cut down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't take this as criticism, but as echoing what others have said regarding your falling technique.
You were in many ways very lucky that all went well. Setting up to fall a tree with a sick chainsaw, (don't ever knock a wedge out to retrieve your saw, pull it out backwards), when tired or sick is a recipe for disaster, particularly if you are inexperienced. Your hinge, or lack thereof was a real worry, from your photographs it was nearly cut through on one side. The hinge is really all that stops the tree falling in any one of 360 different directions, the worst of which is opposite the intended direction.
As others have said, no more than 1/3 deep for your face, I would usually cut the angle first because it is easier to line up a straight cut with an angle, than the other way round and leave the 10% hinge thickness - more if the tree is rotten or compromised in some way. Put your back cut in say 2" higher than the front and concentrate on keeping everything level and your hinge equal thickness side to side. Get a wedge/s in as soon as you can to support the trunk and ensure it doesn't set back on your bar. Make sure you start with a fully fuelled and oiled saw with a sharp chain.
The most important advice is this, which I tell every person I have taught to fall. If, when you step up to the tree and prepare to fall it, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and your butt puckers a bit. WALK AWAY. You have no need so great to fall that tree that it outweighs your sixth sense or lack of confidence. That's when accidents happen.
Good luck and happy falling.

Well, first of all I /do/ take it as a criticism. Second of all, it is a TOTALLY VALID criticism and, as such, I very much appreciate it. I really couldn't agree more with what you say above. I did almost /everything/ badly.

In my defense, I didn't know I was getting sick when I started out and then got part way through and, well... stupidity but I couldn't leave the tree cut half through.

What this experience taught me:

1. I got rid of my 075 as being not up to snuff and bought a much better 084 (which I haven't gotten to use yet, but hope to soon).

2. I won't cut sick again - basically, I won't cut unless I am feeling at least 95%.

3. I learned a lot from folks on here about how to fall (I always say fell - would love an English lesson on this) and several people sent me some videos of techniques which I did not know and will put into practice soon.

4. I will be buying a good set of wedges before the next time I cut a tree down.

In this case, the hairs didn't stand up, exactly. I was mainly just nervous because it was bigger than anything I've ever tackled before. I have cut down lots of trees (as an amateur) and they pretty much always go where I aim them. That said, I wouldn't try one except in an open field. There were all sorts of things wrong with this picture but, in the end the tree went where I aimed it and I learned lots of lessons without dying or even being injured. Any advice is VERY welcome because, while I may have some pride it is nothing in comparison with my desire to not die or get maimed.

While I appreciate what cupar said above, at this point I am interested in the tree coming down not on me or anyone else. I am going to save any "advanced techniques" for later.

It seems, on balance, that I made my scarf cut too large and I will not do that again. The person I cut this one down for just left me a message wanting me to cut down a different one of the same diameter but that has at least 20 feet to the first branch. I will tell him that I will do that one but only in exchange for the trunk, which a buddy needs to make a hugeous beam for the timber frame house he is building.

ANY advice or criticism is not only acceptable but very welcome. Again, I have no desire to die.

Thanks!

Oh, one other thing: I k now this is the wrong place, but I ended up with a full wrap handle for the 075 and no 075. I would /like/ a 3/4 wrap or full wrap for my 084. So if anyone wants to make that trade? I can offer some boot if necessary as I think the 084 handles go for more.

at this point I am interested in the tree coming down not on me or anyone else. I am going to save any "advanced techniques" for later.!

Smartest post ever. I read that as, "I want to be safe." So thank you very much. Safety should be first, have fun with that 084, I've never run a saw that big. I'm not a fan of stihl besides the 880 and the 192/201. Also the old 200. However your set up seems great for you, of course could always use a 3rd saw ;)

Back