Black locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday, in the fine rain, stopped at the ranger station to inquire about a firewood permit in the state forest. We looked at the map, discussed access, and off I went to check out all three locations.
One was getting clearcut by a pulp contractor, devastation, and not a stick worth touching, and you have to haul it to your vehicle, no motorized access.

Second spot, paved access but for the firewooding only, black locust that has been girdled, 1-2 cords in this spot. Permissable to get the truck right where the wood is. :clap:

Third spot, someone purchased the whole wood supply, but since I would accept black locust under 6"dbh, then have at it. My thoughts were the supply of fence posts that could be had. Again, permissable to drive in, but cautioned on impact, so no tearing up the ground with tires, and making ruts. Okay, no problem.

So, $10/cord, have it in writing that my truck can go in to the wood, and bought a 4cord permit, good for the two decent locations.

Today, my eyeballs were bigger than the truck bed, short box p/u with poles ranging from 7'-10' cab high, and 3" straps to tie it down tight for the short 8mile ride home. My math says 6-7 trips to get the 4 cords out.
Have to pile brush tops every so often, need to keep it neat, and it helps to keep a safe work area anyway. Spent about 4hours there, cut a few down, cut to length, pile the brush, load the poles, refuel the saw and myself, repeat.
Get home, unload them all to be cut at a later date.

The real limiting factor here is, all the great wood laying down or dead standing and a guy can't touch it unless he walks it out. That could amount to a lot of work for a little bit of wood depending on when you do it and if you have any helpers along. No motorized help though. Didn't ask about horses.

Sounds like a great find. They are getting rid of an invasive species and you are getting some really great firewood/posts that will last and last in contact with the soil. Nice too that you dont have to pack each piece back to your truck.

:cheers:

Yea, a good find is right.

Going back tomorrow morning, one load again, two if possible.

Here's another kicker, only two permits were issued this year, a guy down the road, for 2cord, and mine.

Maybe the camera can ride shotgun, turkeys were plentiful on fridays walk through.

Once you get that in, how hard is it to purchase additional permits ? I dont think we have anything like that in Kansas is why I'm asking.

If I get all 4cords home before my other sources are open, then I'll ask to cut more. That 6" size or little smaller is nice from the standpoint of splitting, just once down the middle, OR, since its for a winter other than the one upcomming, just let the rounds season in the full wind/sun for two years.

I had a somewhat different experience with Mn state park permits.I think they limited you to 2 cords per year, but they found that very few of the permit holders would actually cut that much.When they found out you were serious, they couldn't be more helpful in making sure you got as much wood as you wanted.Best year I had was clearing out beaver-girdled Oak and Black Ash.It was a cold, snow-less December and I could drive the Power Wagon right up to the trees, even in swampy areas.I must have taken 30 cords.

After hearing about firewood permits in national forests, I wondered if there was an actual limit to the # of permits available as there is with deer tags here. Or if it depended on the working relationship you might have with the Ranger.

I'm sure it varie from state to state and even the area the permits are available.

I'm no looking for more wood to cut. It was just a curiousity thing, mostly.

If anyone else has some experience to share ... jump in.

Thanks guys.

Went back in today, used the tape measure for each piece, 104" by 4-5.75" diameters, good thing they've been dead a while, still heavy on the shoulders.

The load was not quite cabhigh, but I was too tuckered out to work safely anymore. There is an awesome pile of brush stacked up for the springtime 'controlled burn'.

One cord so far now. six more trips for sure.

Only commercial outfits get to demolish the landscape to take out good timber.:confused:

Coog , If I had Oak in the wood pile I'd just end up selling most of it next year. I already have wood waiting to be brought home for this year. I need to put my spare time into some of this.

Woodchuck, I didnt know if after that permit ran out you weree going to have any hassle applying for another one. Probably not, since there doesnt seem to be to many going after the wood in that area.

It wouldnt take many of those 9 footers to wear ya out. I thank God for my boys to help me move the truck , pull trees out to the brush pile , trim and clear brush.

Last edited:
Saw an add in a local grocery store,

Firewood:

Black Locust, 6'-12' poles, or cut/split/delivered.....$240/cord.

All the paper tags with a phone number were still on the sheet, I'll have to check on it occasionally to see if there are takers, or maybe call and ask if I can pickup, see how he does it.

Latest posts

Back