Bow Saw on eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crayner

crayner

ArboristSite Lurker
Hey guys - longtime lurker here - wondering if you all can edjumacate me on bow saws auction 280155305037 on eBay shows one - never had the pleasure of meeting one in person (looks wonderfully dangerous though)
-crayner

064 - they're old and affordable
ex Husky guy

slowp
I went through 3 of them or so when I worked on a thinning crew. I don't understand why they are considered more dangerous. Except sometimes when you're going hard and don't look on the other side and hit a rock and then have a temper tantrum because you have to stop and sharpen. You just put the dog against the little tree pull the trigger and cut at an angle. For the bigger ones you run the saw with the right hand with the dog against it and push the tree with the other hand. It isn't meant to cut big wood with. I learned to run saws by starting out with a bow bar on a McCulloch XL Pro something. I did see one kick back and hit my partner in the head, but he had a tin hat on so was ok. He was running it up the tree to cut the branches out of his way.

sidehillgrowler

sidehillgrowler

Stihl 056
bow bar only dangerous as the operator

I've used a bow bar for a long time without any trouble. I can see if they are not used correctly they can cause major damage but so can a regular bar. Keep the guards on and use the spur tips and pay attention. They save your back from leaning over. Not great for all cutting but used for the proper application they can't be beat.

Latest posts