Brand new Husky 28" bar--odd damage spot after 1st job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylourgos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just used my brand new 395xp with a 28" bar yesterday. Did about 20-30 fairly easy crosscuts of mostly downed oak (one Hackberry). Had to switch it out to a 36" bar to complete one cut. When I did, I noticed an odd mark on the bottom of the 28" bar near the tip that looks like heat damage of some sort. Affected both sides of the bar but no apparent damage to the groove. Never experienced something like this but would like to know the cause. Anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3698.JPG
    IMG_3698.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sucks, but no biggie.

It happens from time to time, especially bucking on a steep slope where the log can bend more than on flat ground, trying to beat the pinch and pulling out. Even if it doesn't pinch, it can leave heat marks from the heat inside the cut + the increased pressure of the cut closing.

Check the top of the rails for square/smooth and make sure the heat mark isn't raised off the surface like a bur would be.

Thanks guys. I was dealing with a fairly thick trunk that had fallen but was propped up, and I struggled with avoiding getting the bar pinched a few times. So it was probably that or the new bar was slightly flawed. I'll check it out carefully before using it next time. If the bar is flawed by much it might make sense to ask for a replacement. Anyway, appreciate the tips. H

Latest posts

Back