Break in burn question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, tonight is our first fire of the year in our wood insert. We have had it for about 4 years. Is it necessary to do a break in burn for the fist burn of the season or can we just go full throttle because it has been used a lot in the past few years. Normally I would just burn it hot the first burn of the season but I saw someone mention that they did a break in burn the first few fires each year. If so how hot should I let the stove top get too?

I'm no expert, but I got an insert, and I let it rip. I wondered about seasoning the metal of a new stove. I even wonder if this is necessary. Think about any new gas or diesel engine, you don't shut em off before they get to top temp.

I do a break in burn when I reblack the stove every now and again. But my cookstove is 100+ years old and probably as broken in as it's going to get. :)

I don't know how true it is but I've heard that cast iron stoves absorb some moisture over the summer and should have a low first firing.

Interesting. I have heard the term "porous cast" before but never thought about it absorbing moisture. That could explain why cast will crack if heated to quickly. The moisture can't escape quickly enough. Good point to remember, not just that it needs an even heat but a little at a time, building up slowly as you go.

Thanks, That's 2 things I learned today. I forget what the other one was.

Last edited:
I don't know how true it is but I've heard that cast iron stoves absorb some moisture over the summer and should have a low first firing.

The manual for the Hearthstone Homestead states to do a break in fire every year to prepare the soapstone for higher temps. Thermal shock.

Last edited:
Hey, tonight is our first fire of the year in our wood insert. We have had it for about 4 years. Is it necessary to do a break in burn for the fist burn of the season or can we just go full throttle because it has been used a lot in the past few years. Normally I would just burn it hot the first burn of the season but I saw someone mention that they did a break in burn the first few fires each year. If so how hot should I let the stove top get too?

A fire (the stove) doesn't get instantly hot. Every fire is a "breakin fire. Just light it.

fireplace insert

Can I ask what type/model inserts you guys are running and are you happy with their performance? I have a jotul insert ordered since July and I keep on getting jerked around as far as delivery and setup dates.-ken

Can I ask what type/model inserts you guys are running and are you happy with their performance? I have a jotul insert ordered since July and I keep on getting jerked around as far as delivery and setup dates.-ken

For me, it is a Pacific Energy: heats 2,000 sq ft.

I burn the first few conservatively every year mostly to monitor the chimney and stove. I go up in the attic and inspect the triple wall pipe as its burning a time or two early in the year before I stoke it up hot. This is all for safety reasons. Im not worried about breaking the stove in for the year. The first dozen fires or so arent super hot anyway, as the temps outside dont make it necessary.

For me, it is a Pacific Energy: heats 2,000 sq ft.

me 2 , heats our 1280 sq ft home very nice , it will do better once I put in some new windows , cheaper than Lopi and every bit as good , only difference , it doesn't have a fancy finish , I bought mine for performance not for looks , and I do say it's a damn nice looking and performing stove

3-12-2006035.jpg

and the piece on top , helps to deflect the air , makes a big difference

3-12-2006036.jpg

Latest posts

Back