Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 35hp gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanguard from Japan.

ROLLACOSTA said:
The 35hp Briggs is in fact a Diahatsu built and designed engine,I have one on my 352 stump cutter,it's a great engine like all Japanese engines..

I wouldn't touch a Briggs built engine with a barge pole..

Hi Rollacosta,

I'll be buying my SP4012 with the 35HP Vanguard. The fact that it's a Diahatsu manufactured engine is a good selling point for me, I'm confident that it'll be reliable.
Compared to the Lombardini diesel tha's offered by Carlton as an alternative, the Vanguard is $1,400 less. The Lombardini brand is not well known to me. I couldn't really find any information on it. Although, my friend owns a SP4012 with the Lombardini and he's very happy with it.
I'll go with the Vanguard, however.

I'll do the same as Curbside, and get mine outfitted with the Dura-disk. I've read many good things about it. It makes sense to buy it new at the time of machine purchase.

I've compared the Carlton to the Rayco. I believe for my needs, the Carlton is probably the better built machine overall. I've really liked dealing with them on the phone so far. The Carlton has a 30" tongue extension, to advance the cutter wheel into the stump, which the Rayco doesn't have. Carlton has a hydraulic drive system, also. Someone here mentioned the Rayco having a chain drive of some sort.

While talking to the Rayco rep. I mentioned to him that I was comparing the Rayco to the Carlton and would be making my purchase in a week. I mentioned that the 300 pound weight difference between the Carlton and Rayco was probably due to a combination of Carlton's tongue extension assembly, the hydraulic drive system and their use of heavier gauge metal in the overall construction.
He said to me that the Carlton Hydraulic drive system didn't have any advantages over their drive system, that it was only more expensive. He added that Carlton's tongue extension wasn't worth having. He even offered to have a heavy metal plate welded to the bottom of the Rayco grinder :jawdrop: (I'm referring to their Super Jr. model with the 35HP Vanguard) Then it would weigh as much as the Carlton, but be cheaper, and not be outfitted with the Hydraulic drive, and tongue extension which weren't worth having, in his opinion.:jester: Just let him know and he'd get that plate welded on, and have it shipped to me A.S.A.P.:dizzy:
I'm not kidding, this was all suggested to me to get me to buy a Rayco. Some salesmen will try any angle I guess:D
Have any Rayco owners out there went with the optional steel plate welded to the bottom of the machine?:laugh:
Needless to say, I'll be getting the Carlton.:rock:

I'm looking foward to getting a smooth running, reliable stumpgrinder.
It's been extremely helpful to be able to read all of the experienced opinions here.
Thanks again everybody.

Later,
Mitch

Just Stumps

I'm using them on a Vermeer SC60TX and a 252.

The benefits are they grind faster, the teeth are way more durable, the disk is heavier and carries more momentum, chips are smaller, you can take bigger bites, the teeth are well priced, and the biggest is the ease of changing teeth. It takes seconds. Also you don't have to worry about lefts, rights and centers. The teeth all look the same except you have shorts and longs. The longs go in the side pockets and the shorts go on the leading edge. You use more shorts then longs but its still the same socket size.

I hated changing teeth with the pro series teeth as I would break sockets bolts, strip bolts etc. The Dura Disk is simple.

35 hp?!

I worked for a tree service in OR in '87/88 that had a home made stump grinder with a 454 v8! I don't know how many horses it had, but probably a tad more. It was heavy; on one job, we got the skidder with the grinder stuck in the mud, and then another skidder stuck trying to pull out the first one. I frankly was afraid of the thing and never got near it. The operator was the only one that regularly wore his PPE---which included some hockey gear.

Thanks Curbside.

Curbside said:
Just Stumps

I'm using them on a Vermeer SC60TX and a 252.

The benefits are they grind faster, the teeth are way more durable, the disk is heavier and carries more momentum, chips are smaller, you can take bigger bites, the teeth are well priced, and the biggest is the ease of changing teeth. It takes seconds. Also you don't have to worry about lefts, rights and centers. The teeth all look the same except you have shorts and longs. The longs go in the side pockets and the shorts go on the leading edge. You use more shorts then longs but its still the same socket size.

I hated changing teeth with the pro series teeth as I would break sockets bolts, strip bolts etc. The Dura Disk is simple.

That's the best summary so far on the Dura disk. There are only 8 short teeth on the dura disk for the 4012. Since the shorts are the ones that need replacing more often, and the fact that they last longer....I think the added cost of the Dura disk is negligible compared to regular teeth.
Faster changes is a plus also.

Thanks again, Curbside.

Later,
Mitch

dura disc

you cant plunge cut with dura disc thats no good for road side work when paiving is all around the stump wheel wears out after 900 hours , should last life time of stump cutter for the price the ask, lead teeth mount wear so cant tighten up other than that it does agood job

KM Stumps

I don't understand what you are saying that it can't plunge cut and it will wear out after 900 hours. Maybe your talking about some other kind of disk or maybe you've never seen one? It will plunge straight down or side to side. It will rip through pavement like it's loose sandy soil. My disks so far show no wear at all. I would think that the disk will last as long or longer as it is double the size of the original disk on a Vermeer.

sandvic disc

yes i have seen a dura disc 2 spoke to sandvic about fitting one to a vemmeer 252 , was given tel no of a large contractor in north of england spoke to owner for 15 minutes on duradisc told me they had run them non stop on a vemeer 252 , that they were very fast , easy to change teeth ,cut faster than most other teeth, that they would not be going back , that with every good idea there was a down side ,one was you had go to depth of cut at beginning of the stump the dura disc did not like to bottom out, also after 900 hours there was alot of wear around the lead bolts or teeth and could not tighten them properly . if you grind concrete slabs like sand you should not be let loose with a stump grinder.:hmm3grin2orange:

Correction Please

Daihatsu is NOT Toyota industrial it is a completely separate company which has entered joint ventures with several other companies.
The new Kohlers (singles at present) are made by Yamaha

Regarding V-twin aircooled I would take a vanguard over a Honda in a heartbeat
:popcorn:

Show me a Daihatsu engine in a Toyota Industrial product and I'll drop it

51% is simply a controlling vote and the largest stockholder

I am not trying to split hairs but I do not see it that way?

Pretty much if you own 51% you can run it any way you like. Elect all the board members, appoint the officers, run the company. That is why companies hold 51% not 49%.

You don't find Ford engines in Jaguars - doesn't mean they don't own them.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Business is different in Japan

The two companies were under one keiretsu and the 51% controlling share was a fairly recent development.
The buy out has to do with production globally of road vehicles and I would not be suprised if they sold off the small engine division of Daihatsu as both Toyota Motor and Toyota Industrial show little if any interest in that market segment but who knows?
;)

have you thought of going with the new engine option, the 33hp kubota diesel? heard that its a bit top heavy? does anyone know how they handle? cant get a demo since the dealer doesnt hav one in stock yet. also,does anyone have feedback on the new 4x4 sp4012?

DYNAMIC STUMP GRINDING INC.

I don't know jack about the actuallequipment you guys are using to be honest, but as for the engines, we've had very few problems from any of the briggs or briggs/daihatsu engines, both gas and diesel. We don't deal much with the 35 hp but we do a fair amount with the 31hp gas, 26hp diesel, and 31 hp turbo diesel with solid track records. Everyone blasts briggs becuase they make some kinda crappy engines that are extremely affordable AND well built higher end engines. Whereas honda and kawasaki and even kohler to some extent primarily build only high quality engines. People tend to assume that if 1 of your products is junk than all of your products are. It's such a narrow and and ignorant view to have in my opinion. We have a lot of customers who base their opinion of briggs on one crappy product they bought in 1991 and that overrides anyting else that you can tell them

Having worked on both the Daihatsu Briggs and the Kubota I prefer the Daihastsu

And yes a lot of people still recall the briggs singles of years ago with updraft carbs that could be a bear to start. The Honda took over a huge part of the market due to superior starting in all weather. All the other engine manufacturers have long since caught up in that department

Latest posts

Back