British Columbia Faller Evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Take a look at http://www.bcfallersafe.org/pdf/FINAL - BCFSC Faller Field Exam and Evaluation - Mar 1 (2).pdf .

I'm like most good Americans. I fear the Canadian menace.

But that being said, it looks to me like this is the best most compressive evaluation field test I've seen.

Anyone have any comments on the unacceptable blocks?

"Unacceptable: Fails to meet above acceptable standard, includes any hardhat 5 years or older, wrong color, improper fit, cracked or dented, suspension broken, CSA or ANSI non-compliant, modifications." Etc.

"Unacceptable: Fails to meet above acceptable standard, includes chainsaw without manufacturers’ full wrap handlebars and with no dogs, doesn’t meet CSA standard, chain brake doesn’t function, modified muffler, saw is not being properly maintained, damaged components." etc.

"Unacceptable: Fails to meet above acceptable standard, includes no
trail, saw carried on shoulder without chain removed and dogs guarded."

"Unacceptable: Fails to meet above acceptable standard, includes
fails to assess tree, no falling plan, inadequate undercuts or
backcuts, fails to escape or take cover. Domino falls." and so forth.

If your company or geographic area has something better. Make your point and please post that test evaluation form here.

Always, be strong and guard against any other Canadian influence.

gonna prolly end up sticking my foot in my mouth here, i read the evaluation and i think this thing is a joke, how can the canadian fallers get anything accomplished when they have to deal with this? how often do they get evaluated? i can understand making sure that equipment is safe but my gosh!! they've got regs on how the fallers can or can't cut the trees. none of this happens here in IL, game wardens are the ones with jurisdiction in forestry around here, and they only thing they care about is if the paperwork(transportation sheets, and tax papers)and filled out and that the state is getting is 4% timber tax, there isn't any in the field inspection-not that i have experienced any way. and witht he modified saw, does that mean they can't get the mufflers dual ported or anything?? i can understand trying to make this dangerous job a little safer but i personally think that this eval. is a bit much

gonna prolly end up sticking my foot in my mouth here, i read the evaluation and i think this thing is a joke, how can the canadian fallers get anything accomplished when they have to deal with this? how often do they get evaluated? i can understand making sure that equipment is safe but my gosh!! they've got regs on how the fallers can or can't cut the trees. none of this happens here in IL, game wardens are the ones with jurisdiction in forestry around here, and they only thing they care about is if the paperwork(transportation sheets, and tax papers)and filled out and that the state is getting is 4% timber tax, there isn't any in the field inspection-not that i have experienced any way. and witht he modified saw, does that mean they can't get the mufflers dual ported or anything?? i can understand trying to make this dangerous job a little safer but i personally think that this eval. is a bit much

This came about in response to what was deemed to be an unreasonable number of fatalities for hand fallers. The intent is to ensure that only safe fallers are working in the woods, and that new fallers receive adequate training to be safe and productive. It was designed by fallers for fallers, based upon known safe working practices in the conditions found here.

As to the modded saws, you simply drop a stock muffler back on and retune for when you're taking the test.

this program was established to provide training for all new fallers and to make sure the ones that are falling are doing so safely. it also stops employers from sending new fallers into areas where the experienced fallers should be sent

Combine tree diameter (F&B) with degree of slope to
determine faller’s assigned level of qualification
TREE DIAMETER
up to 20” = level 1
up to 28” = level 2
up to 36” = level 3
up to 60” = level 4
over 60” = level 5
DEGREE OF SLOPE
up to 30% = level A
up to 60% = level B
60% and over = level C
Examples:
If a participant falls & bucks trees up to 20” diameter on a
slope 30% or less, the qualification level awarded is 1A
If a participant falls & bucks trees up to 36” diameter on a
slope up to 60%, the qualification level awarded is 3B
If a participant falls & bucks trees over 60” diameter on a
slope greater than 60%, the qualification level awarded is 5C

http://www.bcforestsafe.org/content-program-fallers/fallers-06-12-01-faller_explanation.pdf

Back