Buccaneer and Fruit Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yard_Bug

Reaction score
Help! Does anyone know if Buccaneer Plus kills fruit trees or grape vines? We carefully sprayed this weed killer (with a wand) 20-30 feet away from the trees and a grape vine; there was no wind and extreme caution was used. We are familiar with how powerful this product is and waited for the best conditions to apply.

If it does kill trees or vines, does the process take days or weeks (totally dead)?

If it only damages (wilts) the trees and vines, how long before they might recover?

We are hoping for an answer quickly. Thank you so very much for your help!!!!

Yard_Bug

It is just glyphosate, so it will behave very similar to any other round-up generic.

What rate did you use (guessing might not have used the labeled rate, since you are asking this question here???).

If you used it at labeled rate for foliar spray, with 0 mph wind and 0 drift as you say it won't kill anything you didn't spray. However, if there is just a little drift you can kill a lot of things. If you use too much it can be active in the soil, and kill the roots.

I have never seen a large plant "wilt" from glyphosate (the whole plant), and come back.

ATH pretty much nailed it.

Buccaneer is just 41% Glyphosate, a Generic Roundup, and It's doubtfull that it is the culprit. Good luck killing Grape vines with it, as it is just not effective, even when applied directly to a cut vine with sticker, and at full concentration, lord knows I have tried. Drift even slightly affecting the grape vine is doubtfull as the stuff dosn't volatilize, and even with a slight breeze under 5mph the drift is minimal(Several feet) from what I have seen when spraying Orchards and not using any drift control adjuvants. It is most likely something else entirely unless you drenched the grape leaves and green tissues themselves, and the same on the fruit trees.

Glyphosate at 3qt an acre is used heavily in vinyards and orchards with no issues.

Just on the off chance however, contact The manufacturer "Teknoz", and see if they have any insight. It is rare, but occaisionally the off branded herbicide blenders screw the pooch, and screw up a batch with some other compound. Atrazine and 2-4-D in Glyphosate for instance has happened before, and raised holy hell with growers.

Keep the jug and label, and call Teknoz-1-800-322-3111 to be sure.

Good luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks!

Thanks for the good info "dingeryote" and "ATH"! We have used this product for quite sometime and have not ever experienced anything like this before. I suspected that the person claiming we "killed" her trees was looking for someone to blame instead of realizing it was probably mites or disease.

I have read the lable - we wouldn't use a product like this if we weren't aware - I was mostly looking for anyone who may have experienced a similar situation.

Thanks again fellers and/or fellettes...I appreciate your help!

I see from your profile that you are an accountant. Am I correct in my assumption that you did this application for someone or am I wrong and the implied damage was on adjacent property?

It was to an adjacent property - I am a co-owner of a mowing business and we use Buccaneer often; we read the label and mixed as directed for weed control. I have done some additional research and contacted the manufacturer with the circumstance. The trees and vine died within a few days (10 I think they said). The trees were cut down and hauled away - quite suspicious, wouldn't you agree? I have had this situation one time before and it was mites that killed the plants not weed spray.

My reason for asking- is the business properly licensed and insured to apply pesticides in your state? Further, Bucaneer is an AG herbicide (even though it is Glyphosate) and is not labeled for ornamentals and turf. So even if you are properly licensed you could get busted there for applying in violation of the labeling.

Latest posts

Back