Bugs drilling holes in my drying slabs! Help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I made about 50 large slabs from a California Bay Laurel that fell on my property and have been learning.

Everything is stacked and drying in a barn and just recently I started getting hundreds of holes in a few slabs that just showed up over the last few days.

20230805_175412.jpg

Anybody know it's doing this or how to stop it while your slabs are being dried? They're all probably about a year old now. Is there some product that you can spray on them to keep bugs away That won't permanently stain it or interfere wi drying?

The first few tables I have attempted are coming out really well I don't want all these labs to be ruined!

IMG_20230806_123412_449.jpgIMG_20230806_123415_918.jpg
IMG_20230806_123230_303.jpg

That looks like powderpost beetles - they attack my ash but not any of my other hardwoods. Use something like BoraCare or Tim-Bor, or any borate powder diluted with water and applied to the wood. Mostly they go after the softer edge wood but I just noticed a sprinkling of them on interior wood on some thick ash blocks I milled recently.

Latest posts

Back