Burning Cedar in OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a whole bunch of cedar that was taken down when they cleared the power lines on my property. It has been down for a year and is really light as it has dried quickly. It is very light so I assume it will not burn very long and will need to be mixed with other wood to get a lasting fire. Most of it is less than 12" in diameter and I am cutting it into 3 foot lengths that will fit just fine in the OWB.

Does anyone have any experience burning this in their OWB?

I have no experience burning cedar in an OWB, but I do burn quite a bit in my stove. Burns good. Will burn a bit slower than you expect due to the oily nature of the wood. Snap, Crackle, Pop! Also makes good wood for sitting around the fire pit.:givebeer:

I have no experience burning cedar in an OWB, but I do burn quite a bit in my stove. Burns good. Will burn a bit slower than you expect due to the oily nature of the wood. Snap, Crackle, Pop! Also makes good wood for sitting around the fire pit.:givebeer:
+1! Except that I do not burn very much cedar in a wood stove, only for kindling. Great for campfires. Sparks fly, so be careful with it.

BURN IT!!!

the thing that is good about outdoor boilers is that you can burn any kind of wood in it and if it dosent burn all that good add a little used oil .

this year I have 18 cords of good dry birch ready to go but in the past I have burnt it all and all I can say is that a big pile of cedar is better than a tiny pile of good hardwood that wont make you through the winter.

I gathered up some more Cedar last night - this is probably about 2/3rds of what I have. I started to cut and stack some of it last night.....it is really soft and cuts fast. I imagine I have enough Cedar to get me through one or two cold months.

attachment.php

attachment.php

go for it!
i've burned a mountain of in my owb, burned it green and dry and everything in between.
a few years ago the government cut a few acres of cedar on some rented pasture i use. i took that and since have been cutting more of it down.
i would guess it makes about 70% of my firewood.
it's not the easyest firewood to make tho ... lots of brush.
i don't spend any time piling it,i use the fel on the tn75 to push it up in a pile beside the owb.
it does kill to birds with one stone tho, cleans up the acreage and heats the house.

Latest posts

Back