Burnt a piston on 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I posted this in the wood burning forum but they said I would get quicker response if I posted here.

How hard is it to put a new piston in a 455 Rancher? My friends saw burnt a piston, the cylinder looks like I can hone it out, just looking thru the spark plug hole. The saw is 5 years old so he doesn't want to spend to much money on it. I never took one apart before, it doesn't look like it should be too bad. Any suggestions before I tear into it? btw he thinks he screwed up on the oil mixture. The spark plug has aluminum on it and I can see where a hole was starting to burn through the piston.

I posted this in the wood burning forum but they said I would get quicker response if I posted here.

How hard is it to put a new piston in a 455 Rancher? My friends saw burnt a piston, the cylinder looks like I can hone it out, just looking thru the spark plug hole. The saw is 5 years old so he doesn't want to spend to much money on it. I never took one apart before, it doesn't look like it should be too bad. Any suggestions before I tear into it? btw he thinks he screwed up on the oil mixture. The spark plug has aluminum on it and I can see where a hole was starting to burn through the piston.

Where are you in NW Wisconsin? There is a good shop or 2 up there that'll make it right at a value price.

It's not a big deal if you've done some small engine work before. My advise though, is tear it down before you order the piston, you may find the jug is in worse shape than you think -

It's not a big deal if you've done some small engine work before. My advise though, is tear it down before you order the piston, you may find the jug is in worse shape than you think -

+1, metal on the plug and hole in the piston cyl. is most likely toast. I'd have a good look at the rod and crank bearings too.

I have replaced pistons in big diesel, cars, outboard motors, and snowmobiles before, I just never did a chainsaw. So I guess my real question is are there any special tools I need, and or any little tricks to taking it apart without doing a bunch of unnecessary taking apart stuff I don't need to. Once I get it apart I can tell if I can salvage the jug or not by honing it. If he needs a new jug and piston he might just junk it. I'm hoping I can just hone it and slap a piston in for the guy, like I said he is financially embarrassed / unemployed at the present time, and he still has about 5 cord to cut up for winter.

Pull it apart and see whats there if the piston is just scarfed and rings are free you might salvage the whole thing.That is caused by running the ssaw too lean check the carb for tightness or any other air leak on the saw.

You might need some long Allen wrenchs to go down through the fins to the screws that hold the jug to the case - Other than that, you should be o.k. Post some good close up pics of it if you can when you get it apart, guys here can help tell if it's save-able or scrap.

Odds are it will be ok with new ring& piston kit.Just make sure you remove all the alum. from the cylinder walls and don't go through the nicasil coating when honeing.A light hone is all that is nessary for the new rings to break-in.

Latest posts

Back