Camera to alert me of deer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue42

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had deer eat my azaleas and roses many times. Plants that I sweated my butt off and busted my back planting. I want to catch them out there and violently convince them not to come back. I'm not taking this kindly at all.

Is there a motion activated camera that doesn't require a subscription that will alert my phone, or that could wirelessly alert an alarm in my bedroom so I could be aware of the deers' visit and express my feelings to them in person?

EZVIZ Outdoor Camera Pan/Tilt/Zoom, 360° Visual Coverage, 1080P WiFi Security Cam, IP65 Waterproof, Color Night Vision, AI-Powered Person Detection, Support MicroSD Card up to 256GB | C8C
Got some around the house and barn, works real good. All you need is WIFI and you can access them on your computer or cell phone from any place. Records movement and sends an alert to your cell phone. You don't have to have a subscription for them to work and you can watch them live also. You will use phone data if you are away from home but the good part is you can be a 1000 miles from home and still see what is going on around your home.
71sCbi0qYCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Could try the Cams that use Adorcam software setups.They run off WIFI and android. The batteries last for months when fully charged and several different brands on Ebay and Amazon.Can mount anywhere you receive WIFI. SD card mounts inside.I am using four of them, pretty happy and price is about the cheapest thing going

Thanks.

The driveway sensor looks the simplest and cheapest. And there's no worry about it being close enough to pick up the house WiFi. The only thing I see lacking is that when the thing wakes me up at 2:00 a.m (and I hate getting up when I'm tired) and I arm myself and put on my camo and face paint, I could get out there to find that a squirrel or the neighbor's cat set it off.
I'm thinking it might be worth the extra trouble and money to get the picture sent to the phone so I know ahead of time if it's time for payback.
I will check out the Adorcam and EZVID next.

I use Wansview for my security cameras. I get alerts anytime there is motion. I can look at my phone and know it it warrants getting up and grabbing a gun. Some are battery operated but mine are plug in to a socket type. I didn't feel like changing batteries every so often. This is a pic of what was eating my cat food last spring.
vlcsnap-2022-04-26-03h41m52s463.png

The EZVIZ model I posted can be set for strobe lights and an alarm that come on when motion is detected. You can also set the area for detection. Amazon has them on sale today for $59.99.
Nice. Can you set it to fire a well placed shotgun blast?
The strobes and alarm might do the job for the deer. If it's always on I don't think they'd stick around through it unless they were starving.

I know little about these cameras, I do have trail cameras that are sent to my phone. I saw one adverted that screws into a light bulb socket and is remotely controlled to look 360 degrees around. I goggled light bulb socket camera and several brands came up. If you have a socket near where you want to see seems like the simplest way to set it up.

Well, I got the DZees Outdoor Camera. $80 for two of them. I needed something that runs on battery and with which I can see what sets off the motion detector.
I was woken up this morning at 5am by an alert for motion detection. I checked the video clip on the phone and it was a deer. I ran downstairs and I think I was pretty convincing to this deer that she wasn't welcome.

The motion detection isn't the best in some testing I did playing with it, but it worked well enough this time. And I can't put them very far from the house or they don't pick up the WiFi. But otherwise they're good so far.

Screenshot_20230310-131801.png

Well, I got the DZees Outdoor Camera. $80 for two of them. I needed something that runs on battery and with which I can see what sets off the motion detector.
I was woken up this morning at 5am by an alert for motion detection. I checked the video clip on the phone and it was a deer. I ran downstairs and I think I was pretty convincing to this deer that she wasn't welcome.

The motion detection isn't the best in some testing I did playing with it, but it worked well enough this time. And I can't put them very far from the house or they don't pick up the WiFi. But otherwise they're good so far.

View attachment 1065037
Looks good. If you have a sheltered,dry place with a receptacle, a wifi booster may help to give you added range. We used 2 to give me good reception over 150 feet from the house.

I use the blink cameras from amazon. I am told there are better ones, but I am satisfied with what I have. As for range, I can get pictures as far away as 100ft or more from the camera, which did make it hard to locate the cameras so I dont get pics of every car running down the road. Very sensitive, I gotten pics of spider webs blowing across the lens, but it can be adjusted. The wifi connection is good for several hundred feet as long as you dont try to use the camera inside a metal building, then it wont connect just inside the door. Another thing I dont like is the lens tends to fog up with a heavy fog or rain, but the cameras seem to be water proof. I tend to move my cameras around and just set them on top of things, trailer tongue, piece of equipment, trashcan, ect, with full weather exposure. I have had squirrels knock it off of fence post. I also have cellphone game camera and a regular game camera. I was disappointed my my regular game camera this year, I left it in place from Oct until just a few weeks ago and then dicovered I had it aimed to high, got plenty of pics, but nothing worth seeing. With the blink and cell camera, you can view it anytime to make sure everything is the way you want it.

Latest posts

Back