Can hydraulic fluid be used as power steering fluid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scars2prove-it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
...In a 95 Ford F800. If not, what kind of power steering fluid do I put in the brake system that says " use proper power steering fluid"? Does the actual power steering system use the same fluid?

Dont confuse hydraulic brake fluid with common hydraulic oil. One is mineral based the other"Brake Fluid" definitely is not. Just a few drops of mineral oil will ruin all the seals in master cly and wheel cylinders. The hydraulic brake booster is pump driven the same type of system as a power steering pump and can use the same "power steering fluid". Just realize that the hydraulic brake BOOSTER system is separate from the hydrauic BRAKE system.
I"m not telling you to do it but many people inter change between automatic trans fluid and power steering fluid; problem being there is at leat 3 different types of automatic trans fluid. Using hdraulic oil is hardly worth the savings especially when you are talking BRAKES.
Frank

I concurr that it is important to be careful with your brake system.
To chase a rabbit you kicked up Scars-You can use Hydraulic fluid in a power steering pump. On a leaky one you can use 30wt motor oil very effectively-cheap and slows the rate of loss.

If you have hydroboost brakes where the booster for the brakes is hydraulic that runs off of the PS pump you should use ATF don't use standard hydraulic oil. You don't want to screw up the hydroboost booster if you do your looking at big money to replace it.

Back