"Caution Tape/Flagging" can be dangerous!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I was felling some small trees, a few of which had to fall onto a private road. Vehicles rarely use this road, but just to be safe I blocked the road at both ends with caution tape.

When I was done working, I was quite tired. I took down the caution tape and was walking back to my truck. Some of the tape was hanging down on the ground (as I did not wad it entirely up into my hands)...

This loose caution tape caught on my shoes and I almost tripped!

Last edited:
I have braided flagging and used it to keep a dragging muffler and exhaust up off the ground so we could get to town. I've used it to tie hair with, as key chain, and it can be used instead of duck tape in some dire circumstances. Of course, I like the pink color the best.:clap:

I have braided flagging and used it to keep a dragging muffler and exhaust up off the ground so we could get to town. I've used it to tie hair with, as key chain, and it can be used instead of duck tape in some dire circumstances. Of course, I like the pink color the best.:clap:

Isn't it true that FS employees are given 10 rolls of flagging tape a day and can't return to the office until it is hung up in the woods? My theory anyway.

when I worked at the "FS" we used to use the flagging tape to play tricks on new people, or friends on the last day of work....

we would tie 5 or so rolls of flagging to the bumper on their truck and then set the rolls on the bumper so when they got a mile down the road and hit a bump all the rolls would fall off and unravel so they would have 5 100' strings of flagging tailing behind when they went in to town. various flashy colours for effect..

sometimes used it to flag trails in the green so we didnt get lost... I use it here and there personally, but not any more than necessary I hate going in to the bush and seeing flagging on every second tree

I would say that the loggers use it a lot too. They have to. They have to flag in their corridors, skid trails, and landings. I tell them I'm near sighted so make it so I can see it. :)

Flaggin and taggin

"Isn't it true that FS employees are given 10 rolls of flagging tape a day and can't return to the office until it is hung up in the woods? My theory anyway."

Not true. We have no need for flagging with GPS and our sophisticated planning.

----------

What we do is alter the pie plate sign system.

Where a hunter/camper puts up a pie plate with felt maker at an intersection and writes; "Bob ==> 2 1/4 m to camp".

We'll have a new employee replace it with one that reads; " Bob <== 4 miles then left 5 1/2 miles to camp"

It is a hassle keeping all those different sized and colored felt markers.

--------------

The reason why? Thought you'd never ask. This way we can get the roads cut out better, (our users are a few teeth short of a chain and they drive RV's), when the rest of us are back in class in clean uniforms. Saves on saw gas too. In fact, we work so little we are debating switching from 044's to 440's.

-------------

Of course we notify law enforcement of areas to expect 'illegal' woodcutting in so we can get some 'funding'.

-------------

Now, don't you long for the days when we just hung flagging to the last place we pooped?

Last edited:
If you want to see excitement, just run some flagging ribbons over the prop line (I'm surrounded by subdivisions) onto an earth muffins prop and write, "aerial herbicide boundary" on it.

Its no slice of heaven trying to grow trees in an urban interphase, but it's fun to tease the transplants.

If you want to see excitement, just run some flagging ribbons over the prop line (I'm surrounded by subdivisions) onto an earth muffins prop and write, "aerial herbicide boundary" on it.

Its no slice of heaven trying to grow trees in an urban interphase, but it's fun to tease the transplants.

Once in my youth a couple of us borrowed a few FS clearcut boundary signs and posted them along the trail in the Olympic National Park. They said Upper Elhwa Unit #4. We thought it was quite funny at the time.

Once in my youth a couple of us borrowed a few FS clearcut boundary signs and posted them along the trail in the Olympic National Park. They said Upper Elhwa Unit #4. We thought it was quite funny at the time.

I would think it to be funny now. :clap:

I get a little paranoid when the cutters use their CAUTION: DANGER TREE flagging to mark stuff that isn't dangerous because that is the only flagging they happened to have at the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back