central boiler wood stove corrosion problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landmark

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used my CB wood stove for 5 seasons now and love it. Last year I noticed that I have a corrosion problem on my heat plate for my domestic hot water. It appears the stainless to brass fitting is corroded and now is to the point of shutting off the flow of hot water. Has anybody else had this problem and if so, what is the best method to clean up the heatplate?

Have you been keeping your water conditioner in check?
The corrosion is not on the boiler water side of the heat plate but on the domestic side. The inhibitor keeps boiler side clean. The corrosion seems to be a reaction from the stainless steel touching the brass fitting on the pex connection.

Dissimilar metals will corrode at the point of contact. Isolate them from one another and you won't have that problem. This is how large water and gas pipelines and designed.

Have you been keeping your water conditioner in check?
Dissimilar metals will corrode at the point of contact. Isolate them from one another and you won't have that problem. This is how large water and gas pipelines and designed.
Thanks for info and I will separate them on reassembly after I fix the corrosion issue. The OP is still asking does anyone know how to clean it though. CLR or something similar? cant brush the internals of the heat plate. Not trying to sound smart in reply. An ounce of prevention is separating the metals but im at the pound of cure stage.

I had a 20 plate hx get pretty nasty a couple years ago. I tried clr and some other things. The only thing that ended up working was straight toilet bowl cleaner. I let it soak for a couple of weeks and flushed I out. Ended up good as new

I had a 20 plate hx get pretty nasty a couple years ago. I tried clr and some other things. The only thing that ended up working was straight toilet bowl cleaner. I let it soak for a couple of weeks and flushed I out. Ended up good as new
I was afraid it would take a while to soak. Thanks for the info. Did have to reem it out any?

I was afraid it would take a while to soak. Thanks for the info. Did have to reem it out any?

Didnt ream it. I just slowly poured in the tb cleaner and let it sit for a few days. I tried to rinse it out but I could tell it was still nasty inside. So I did it all again and let it sit for about 2 weeks. When I rinsed it after that it was at full flow and clean as a whistle.

Commercial ice machine cleaner works well.

Yep! I use this in my plates but I flush my plates. I run this stuff through a small pump with a return line in a pail. Takes a few days but it cleand my plates like new.

I had the same problem as you... Gets to be a bear to clean. Also bought the proper unions so the brass and others do not touch. Same unions we use on the hot water heaters... Problem solved..

Talk to some restaurant and find out who supplies their Ice Machine, (nine times out of then is the pop supplier) and they have this ice machine cleaner in quart bottles. We have a company who sells refurbished restaurant equipment and they stock cases of this stuff. I think I paid $8 or $10.00 for a quart and mixed it with a gallon of water.. Works Great!!

Latest posts

Back