CEP calls for action regarding Canadian Mill Closures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arnie-good for them. I think that this softwood deal is going to be resolved now the Cons are in, especially with Emerson the former head of Canfor. The Liberals went way to far with their anti-American, condescending, elitist crap, now its time to get back to being friends. Good thing we have lots of wood, coal, metals etc. and oil, the oil! Hey, Albertans have more in common with Texans, who would you rather get your oil from a) crazy rug pilots b) Ralph Klien

TreeCo said:
Arnie,

Interesting. Union president Payne is asking that the "programme of $1.5 billion in financial aid" money faucet be opened again to support the industry.

And in the next paragraph Payne is says: "We do not want
government handouts to industry."

I imagine the Union has pushed to keep wages high even though the industry obviously is not producing the income to support said wages.

Another example of a union running an industry into the ground?

I was represented by the AFL CIO in the early eighties. The union insisted on no wage cuts. 16 stores closed and 650 people went jobless.

The union reps all kept their jobs.

Dan

I get great representation through the CAW but then I took an active part along with many others to shape what it does. Sometimes if you are involvedin a organization and you dont like its direction you change it.

Funny that you should mention the AFL CIO and store closures. They were and still are targeting Walmart stores and rightfully so. I did not agree with the way that they were doing that so I wrote a letter to the heads of UFCW the union handling that issue and a week later seen a change in how they were dealing with that issue and people were not going through the closures as you describe. Sometimes an idea from outside is what is needed but most of all you shouldsupport the organization that is trying to support you especially if you belong to it. It is clear to me that your employer did not care much about you to leave you by closing the place yet you blame the union who was fighting for you. It is a ploy that is used over and over again so that people remain scared to organize.:)

clearance said:
Arnie-good for them. I think that this softwood deal is going to be resolved now the Cons are in, especially with Emerson the former head of Canfor. The Liberals went way to far with their anti-American, condescending, elitist crap, now its time to get back to being friends. Good thing we have lots of wood, coal, metals etc. and oil, the oil! Hey, Albertans have more in common with Texans, who would you rather get your oil from a) crazy rug pilots b) Ralph Klien

Not to rain on your parade but I am glad that the union is supporting the people that work in the mills that are getting closed. Not knowing lumber all that well I'm not sure what that has to do with the softwood issue.

Emerson may get it going but you will still be on the short end and will soon curse what you have been delivered by the Tories(trust me) as it will not be in your favour(the worker). Emerson who says he is not a politician and should run in a bi election so that he may honestly represent the electorate.

I think that the ante amarican sentiment in this country is reserved more for their politicians then the people themselves.(self explanatory I hope)

Friends dont steal resources as in what happened to our mineral rights (Free Trade)and the want for our softwood. Their people will not understand that one as they have not been told the real story by their politicians and in places our Conservative government of the day screwed up badly in their favour.

A Canadian or Texan source of oil at a fair price would always be better as it will help our economy.
PS they are Arabs and not rugpilots. I don't like the price of their oil and if you think that Texan oil or Alberta oil will be cheaper Ha Ha. Bush has money in oil so do the Conservatives Ha Ha. Psst!!!You won't get it cheap just because you support them.:cheers:

Back