Chain Breaker/Spinner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im not too hot on HF tools but for the $50 pricetag, I just ordered their breaker/spinner. It should work fine for no more than I will use it, I hope!
Anybody got experience with this HF tool?

99835.gif

My break is separate from the spinner but is same style. You have to go slow and use plenty of lube or you end up with stress cracks in the rivet head. It takes a lot of cranking but when you need to make up a chain you can do it without leaving the garage or woods. I use a couple of quick release bar clamps and mount mine wherever I need it whether it is the bench or tailgate of the truck.

Dennis

I buy my tie straps when I buy my chain. I don't know what the stihl uses but my spinner works well with 72DG and 91VS chains. Most of my chain is Oregon but I did get some Laser chain when my dad died. I haven't needed it yet and don't remember what it is without digging it out.

Dennis

I just ordered mine online tonight, so I will post my opinion later when i get it. I have a few nearly new .325 20" chains that I want to reduce to 16" to fit my 025

Personally I like them seperate and made of US cast but to each their own.

Bill

me too... very fortunate to have two sets of each.

one old breaker/spinner set, USA made that came with a Silvey round grinder. other set is new, made in Australia and very high quality.

first spinner was made in Italy and couldn't spin a rivet straight. wobbled badly and cracked rivets everytime. sent that one back and got a refund.

prefer to bolt down the spinner, but leave the breaker loose.

Personally I like them seperate and made of US cast but to each their own.

Bill

Well I got it today and it sucks:censored:
It cracks the rivet heads every time no matter how slow or how much oil/grease I put on the spinner anvil.

I called customer service and they are sending me a return label....Should have known better:bang:

I will try the set from Baileys:clap:

It cracks the rivet heads every time no matter how slow or how much oil/grease I put on the spinner anvil.

I called customer service and they are sending me a return label....Should have known better:bang:

and you expected something better from china?
the same people who brought you tainted milk and lead painted toys?
:dizzy:

problem is probably loose threads. as you crank down base, anvil is spinning. anvil needs a base that rotates true. if threads have too much slop, rivet base will wobble. causing cracked rivets... no matter how you lube rivet. note cracked rivet was coated with lithium grease.

bottom pic shows anvil that cracked rivets. as you can see there's nothing wrong with anvil. Oregon rep and dealer both suspected a bad anvil. when the real problem was bad threads, resulting in a wobbly base.

chainbreak8.JPG

chainbreak9.JPG

chainbreak10.JPG

chainbreak11.JPG

Last edited:
Mine was made in Italy. My worst rivet looks like the one on the right of your photo. When I said to not go too fast, I meant don't crank the tension in too fast. I would prefer spinning them in the Bridgeport mill in the shop using a concave punch but I don't have that luxury anymore being retired.:)

I have the ones from baileys,best ones for the money,I have made hundreds of chains on them. I WOULD ORDER EXTRA PUSH PINS FOR BREAKER......

problem is probably loose threads. as you crank down base, anvil is spinning. anvil needs a base that rotates true. if threads have too much slop, rivet base will wobble. causing cracked rivets... no matter how you lube rivet. note cracked rivet was coated with lithium grease.

bottom pic shows anvil that cracked rivets. as you can see there's nothing wrong with anvil. Oregon rep and dealer both suspected a bad anvil. when the real problem was bad threads, resulting in a wobbly base.

chainbreak8.JPG

chainbreak9.JPG

chainbreak10.JPG

chainbreak11.JPG

Good post!! I would stay away from HF tools, but they are tempting. We use a old stihl and oregon set up at work. They are both well used but work great. It is all about taking your time when spinning and not trying to set the thing in one go around. Make sure you don't make it too tight though. If that happens, put it in the breaker and give some light pressure, should free it up with no side effects.

Back