Chain Sharpening Going Well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I bought one of those Oregon sharpening jigs. Its ok but I dont like the plastic areas on it.

I also had to buy a file to go with it and it came with one of those guides that rides right on the file. That works real well. I also noticed that its pretty easy to sharpen a chain without it. I still use the guide just to be sure and because I am green to it.

I am no longer stretching my chain every time I run the saw. Cutting is MUCH easier. I also clean the bar every time now. I noticed the sprocket is not a free as it once was. I am going to get a new one. Are those replaceable tip ones worth it?

Thank Yall for showing me the error of my ways, you have saved me money and made cutting all of these downed trees a better experiance. Still have quite a few to go. Hurricane Ike was something else. My sister has 18 trees on her property that I am going to have to cut away as well.

Which Oregon model did you get?
I just ordered a 511ax from northern tools who sent me a 511a instead. Amazon had it listed wrong. I called Northern tools and they agreed and had me ship the 511a back.
Ordered the 511ax from Northern tool, free shipping and a $25.00gift certificate. Says a lot about NT....

Oregon 511ax

Well, I bought one of those Oregon sharpening jigs. Its ok but I dont like the plastic areas on it.

I also had to buy a file to go with it and it came with one of those guides that rides right on the file. That works real well. I also noticed that its pretty easy to sharpen a chain without it. I still use the guide just to be sure and because I am green to it.

I am no longer stretching my chain every time I run the saw. Cutting is MUCH easier. I also clean the bar every time now. I noticed the sprocket is not a free as it once was. I am going to get a new one. Are those replaceable tip ones worth it?

Thank Yall for showing me the error of my ways, you have saved me money and made cutting all of these downed trees a better experiance. Still have quite a few to go. Hurricane Ike was something else. My sister has 18 trees on her property that I am going to have to cut away as well.
How easy and well does this sharpener work??

Back