Chainsaw milling re-invented

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas M Barnes

Reaction score
You guys see the Swedish made chainsaw mills? An aluminum frame that you put the logs onto, and then run the saw back and forth rather than attaching the rail to the log. They don't have the same width capacity but if you're only sawing logs 27" and under, its a neat little mill. There's a Maine dealer called Fox Forestry

Attachments

• F2_6.jpg
    F2_6.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4
  • F2+ 4m.png
    F2+ 4m.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
This style of mill is not new as DIY versions of it have been around for long time. Someone from Logosol contracted me about 15? years ago to ask me a bunch of questions about the DIY milling scene here because they were thinking about setting up a branch in Oz. They even asked me if I wanted to become a dealer and/or review one of their mills but I declined. I can see they have their uses but otherwise it seems like a way to spend a lot of money on nice pieces of extruded Al.

This style of mill is not new as DIY versions of it have been around for long time. Someone from Logosol contracted me about 15? years ago to ask me a bunch of questions about the DIY milling scene here because they were thinking about setting up a branch in Oz. They even asked me if I wanted to become a dealer and/or review one of their mills but I declined. I can see they have their uses but otherwise it seems like a way to spend a lot of money on pieces of extruded Al.
15 Years? Wow I missed the mark on naming the thread haha. Yeah I feel the use of the mill is really or people who don't want to bend over for an alaskan style, or people who don't want to be adjusting the frame all the time. The real advantages are for rural homeowners or off grid, like the guy in the youtube video who lives further out. Just putting the option out there for people to look at. Opinions always welcome.

This style of mill is not new as DIY versions of it have been around for long time. Someone from Logosol contracted me about 15? years ago to ask me a bunch of questions about the DIY milling scene here because they were thinking about setting up a branch in Oz. They even asked me if I wanted to become a dealer and/or review one of their mills but I declined. I can see they have their uses but otherwise it seems like a way to spend a lot of money on pieces of extruded Al.

Good seeing you round, Bob!

Cheers!

15 Years? Wow I missed the mark on naming the thread haha. Yeah I feel the use of the mill is really or people who don't want to bend over for an alaskan style, or people who don't want to be adjusting the frame all the time. The real advantages are for rural homeowners or off grid, like the guy in the youtube video who lives further out. Just putting the option out there for people to look at. Opinions always welcome.
If the log is lifted off the ground (eg use a Kangaroo Jack) and sloped (something the Logosol doesn't do - although it could do this) and suitable height handles are used on an Alaskan mill there is far less need to bend over and also less effort is needed as gravity does some of the work.
If a couple of initial cuts are made there's also less need to adjust the milling frame.
All this is discussed in the Milling 101 sticky.
setup.jpg

Here's a link to them. https://www.foxforestry.com/collections/chain-sawmills

The big selling points in comparison to a traditional alaskan mill are:
1. You can have the ends of the log set to different heights to eliminate the taper of the log prior to milling your cant. So you can be the same distance to the pith on both ends.
2. Your work space is off the ground.
3. You can take out several connectors and move this mill around easier, and to many more places, than a bandsaw.

logosol been around a long time. state side there are only a few dealers.

I met one of the original USA Logosol reps, Robert Bjork, at a state fair 1998. He was demoing a Logosol mill, let me slice up a log. Next year I bought one of the original M5 mills with an 066, they had a special package deal. I think price was a little over $2000 , for 066 saw, mill, and accessorys.

The mill works excellent when set up proper. Square lumber and smooth finish using the lo pro/picco Stihl 63PMX bar chains. Two men can carry the whole assembled mill, so you can bring/carry the mill to the logs if needed, or put it on a truck/trailer bed fully assembled for transport.

First thing I did was mill up some ash and build a take down ramp with steps. That allows 1 person alone/to roll a large log onto the mill just using a peavy/log cant.

Once on the mill I take a cut off the top, then roll it 180 degrees (log cant), take another cut. From there you can flat saw fletches, or square up other two sides first. The mill has 1/4" adjustments to raise and lower the log using hand cranks on each end. You can raise one end higher to take off log taper with first cuts (mentioned above).

I've done 1/2" cuts , to make 1/4" veneer (saw kerf is 1/4")......and beams for timber framing. I rip cull boards to make stickers, or tomato stakes.

The Stihl 63PMX milling chain has got damm expensive, and 3003 mount Stihl bars are hard to find in lo pro/picco.

Sorry no pictures of me milling, but here's a properly stacked, 5' wide stack of 5/4" cherry. You can see end of mill poking out right side of picture.

5:4 cherry.jpg

This style of mill is not new as DIY versions of it have been around for long time. Someone from Logosol contracted me about 15? years ago to ask me a bunch of questions about the DIY milling scene here because they were thinking about setting up a branch in Oz. They even asked me if I wanted to become a dealer and/or review one of their mills but I declined. I can see they have their uses but otherwise it seems like a way to spend a lot of money on nice pieces of extruded Al.

You need to try one out.

I don’t know why everyone still does it the hard way. Hasn’t anyone else seen how to make a self propelled chainsaw mill? If I had a picture I’d post it but there’s a Eastern European guy that has a video on YouTube that made one I copied and it’s great. Get it going and go relax for 20 min instead of killing your back pushing and your done. Keeping it pc saying eastern European because I don’t know what contry He’s actually from.

I don’t know why everyone still does it the hard way. Hasn’t anyone else seen how to make a self propelled chainsaw mill? If I had a picture I’d post it but there’s an Eastern European guy that has a video on YouTube that made one I copied and it’s great. Get it going and go relax for 20 min instead of killing your back pushing and your done. Keeping it pc saying eastern European because I don’t know what contry He’s actually from.

@ lumptastic
How hard was it to build. What saw and chain?

Not very difficult but I didn’t copy exactly his design I got one of the granger beam cutters I believe is what they’re called. The one that goes along a board and pivots. Tack welded the pivoting part at about 15 degrees off vertical and added a little length to the sides so it would go over 4x4 to keep it more stable so basically I set it up with the bar and chain against the end of the log shim the board to get it where I want before screwing down the ends. And to keep the throttle open I’ve got a hemostat I clip on the linkage after I get it going. Gotta leave the air filter cover off of my saw to do that but I’ve used it with the few different sthil saws I have depending on the size log. So I didn’t really copy his exact device just the idea and Afro engineered my own the vibration keeps it moving once it’s at an angle overall it’s a bit slower because your relying on gravity instead of pushing but I’ll take that over killing my back with an Alaska mill. I’m sure there are better ways to build it than what I did

@ lumptastic
How hard was it to build. What saw and chain?
I didn’t reply to you question in the last comment so you’ll want to go to that one first. 5F0357AD-5304-4AAE-A433-A1FBBC141F78.jpeg8D91588C-35BD-4369-B660-7D0BF38B13E6.jpegSo the first photo is what I used but went to the bailey’s website to find a picture and if given a choice I’d go with the second one. You can’t have a chain that’s looose at all with the first one. If it lifts off the bar any more that a tiny amount it’s game over for your chain. Your basically using them as they’re designed to be used just on a slope and with the throttle in a fixed position so you can just let it go on it’s own. I’ve never used milling chain. Depending on bar size ether a standard or a skip chain smaller stuff I do with my 260 bigger I use my 066. And I have done it like this with as big as a 52” bar. I will say it feels more stable with a heavier saw and bar but I’ve never had any problems with it

I don’t know why everyone still does it the hard way. Hasn’t anyone else seen how to make a self propelled chainsaw mill? If I had a picture I’d post it but there’s a Eastern European guy that has a video on YouTube that made one I copied and it’s great. Get it going and go relax for 20 min instead of killing your back pushing and your done. Keeping it pc saying eastern European because I don’t know what contry He’s actually from.

I initially assumed he pulled power from the saw, used some reduction gears to slow it back down and drove a belt... but a giant rubber band and some nails in a log behind the saw is an elegantly simple solution.

Back