Chaps recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer Fudd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife and I own some acreage with planted pine (loblolly and longleaf) and some natural hardwood here in central Alabama. I have done a fair amount of cutting over the last several years with a pair of Husqvarna 359s with a 20 inch bar. They have held up well, the only problem I have had have been owner induced (cracked worm gear when reassembled the clutch/sproket).

I recently bought a Husqvarna 355FX clearing saw to clean out about 40 acres of 5 year old planted longleaf. This acreage was previously mixed planted pine with some unwanted hardwoods, with a chemical site prep. It was burned 3 years ago and I might do so again this year. I wanted to get rid of as much hardwood and unwanted regen loblolly as I can with the clearing saw before burning to ensure a kill. Based on my first day's progress it will take about 2 weeks.

I have always worn jeans, long sleeve shirt, Husqvarna helmet/shield/ear pro, and leather gloves. I have gotten a few cuts in the jeans from sloppy saw handling (and improper idle adjustment). For the prolonged use with the clearing saw it would be nice to have some leg protection while working through the brambles/vines/etc. that seem to go right through my jeans, chainsaw protection would be an extra bonus. After reading through the posts here it seems like the Labonville full wrap chaps would be good for this application. My only reservations would be - will they hold up to the brambles, vies, etc., are they comfortable to wear all day with a lot of movement, will they keep from sagging? It does get very hot and humid here in the summer, although working this time of year is pleasant. Or is there a better option?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I like the Labonville and once you get used to wearing them all day isn't an issue. I'd recommend ordering a set of the suspenders to go with them.

I like the Labonville and once you get used to wearing them all day isn't an issue. I'd recommend ordering a set of the suspenders to go with them.

Thanks, would you get their clip or button style suspenders? Their product description doesn't specify which one would work with it.

I like your sig photo - I was on M1A1s in the first Gulf War.

I have the Husky full wrap chaps and like them. They are very comfortable and I dont even notice I'm wearing them, the brambles and other brush stuff that would always attach to my jeans doesn't with the chaps....and hope I never have to find out how well they work!
Labonville makes an excellent product too....and is an AS sponsor so always a good idea to throw biz their way!

Congrats on your clearing saw purchase, let us know how ya like it - and send some pics of that 40 acres!
:cheers:

Congrats on your clearing saw purchase, let us know how ya like it - and send some pics of that 40 acres!
:cheers:

No pics yet, have completed 3 acres or so, I really like the clearing saw, glad I went with the high end model, it takes down 5+ inch hardwood or pine trees with a cut on each side. Seems like a very heavy duty piece of equipment, and the harness does an excellent job. I never notice the weight, and my back does not get sore at all. Still on my first blade, I sharpen after each tank of gas, which lasts an hour plus. Sharpening is quicker than a chainsaw chain.

Last edited:
Pics are always a bonus.

Just another thought, since your walking land you might want to get some briar/brush chaps from Filson. They are high on the price but a great product and give you the extra protection over jeans. These are NOT chainsaw protective chaps, just something good to scout your land, walk, hunt, etc. Pair of suspenders should take care of holding it all up. Use chainsaw chaps when cutting.

Also, if you are cutting your jeans when firing up the saw it sounds like your drop starting it and not using the chain brake (very dangerous). It has been my experience, especially with the newer saws it does not require much effort to fire them as with some of the older saws. If you have to pull the throttle trigger to start, the carb probably needs to be adjusted. If it's being stubborn, set it on the ground to start it. Don't worry, I've had to do it plenty and the squirrels were not laughing very long. Always be safe

Pics are always a bonus.

Just another thought, since your walking land you might want to get some briar/brush chaps from Filson. They are high on the price but a great product and give you the extra protection over jeans. These are NOT chainsaw protective chaps, just something good to scout your land, walk, hunt, etc. Pair of suspenders should take care of holding it all up. Use chainsaw chaps when cutting.

Also, if you are cutting your jeans when firing up the saw it sounds like your drop starting it and not using the chain brake (very dangerous). It has been my experience, especially with the newer saws it does not require much effort to fire them as with some of the older saws. If you have to pull the throttle trigger to start, the carb probably needs to be adjusted. If it's being stubborn, set it on the ground to start it. Don't worry, I've had to do it plenty and the squirrels were not laughing very long. Always be safe

Thanks for the Filson chaps suggestion - those are also what I was looking for. I had not been very happy with other hunting chaps I have seen locally.

I have snagged my jeans with the saw while I am moving around, usually in a confined area with a lot of brush, with some movement of the chain at idle. It was a carb adjustment problem - I even took it into a shop and they could not adjust it correctly. I finally got it adjusted myself. I also just bought a Fast-Tach to adjust my saws myself.

I always start a cold saw on the ground. It typically takes 6 pulls on choke, then three off choke. I only drop start a warm saw, with my hand off the throttle. However I do not use the chain brake. It sounds like this would be a good idea to start using it on a drop start.

:agree2:

I always sharpen before it needs it, keeps it easier to fix if I do ground it, or hit something. :cheers:

I also just got a Husqvarna file guide for clearing saw blades, with the tooth bend gauge on the end. That works well also, although bending the teeth to the correct angle does not seem needed as often as sharpening.

Last edited:
I bought a set of Labonville full-wrap chaps, and they work well for this (at least in the winter here in Alabama, they would be brutal for all day wear here in the summer, although you would be foolish to do this in the summer, if you have a choice).

Now if I could just find a breathable shirt that is more thorn resistant than my standard long sleeve Wal-Mart cheapies.

I also found out the hard way that chaps do not protect your pinkie if you are stupid enough to reach down to pull up a sapling while the blade is still spinning. Five stitches, and I am lucky to still have a finger.

Latest posts

Back