Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I used my Husqvarna chaps today while cutting and discovered two things:

1. Get the wrap-around calfs, they act like gaiters in deep snow and keep all the snow out of your boots (about 18" on the ground here).

2. I nicked them with a chain last year (first time out with them brand new:bang:). I fixed the small cut by covering it with clear fingernail polish and letting it dry, seems to have worked well as a repair.:biggrinbounce2:

These are very expensive in the UK ... I know, I know ... but I'm only human, and I've been trying to find out which is best, chaps or trousers? I only want to buy these once, and need to get it right.

Cheers

:confused:

modn I like those too ... pity I have duty and tax to pay if ordering from the USA

Cheers

:)

The problem with pants is you can't take them off when you finish cutting and are spurting sweat out every orifice. My Labonville chaps are HOT. When I'm done cutting, I take them off to split and load. Woudn't be possible with pants. On the other hand, those with pants say they don't snag when wading branches and brush the way chaps do.

Ian

The problem with pants is you can't take them off when you finish cutting and are spurting sweat out every orifice. My Labonville chaps are HOT. When I'm done cutting, I take them off to split and load. Woudn't be possible with pants. On the other hand, those with pants say they don't snag when wading branches and brush the way chaps do.

Ian

I've good Moody full wraps... and if I tuck in the excess strap lengths, I don't ever get snagged, and I wade through some of the thickest mixes of multiflora rose bush and bittersweet vine you'd ever want to see.

I retired my 10 y/o Husky chaps in favor of the Labonvilles just because of the age of the Huskys. I like the design of the huskys better. Labonville's full wrap is a separate tab of material sewn onto their standard chaps while the Husky chaps are one piece and flare out to make the wrap at the calf. The Husky chaps are only 5 layers while the Labonvilles are 7 though. Something to keep in mind.

Ian

Last edited:
These are very expensive in the UK ... I know, I know ... but I'm only human, and I've been trying to find out which is best, chaps or trousers? I only want to buy these once, and need to get it right.

Cheers

:confused:

Chaps, with the wrap-around from knee down, offers the best of all worlds, but you'll still rip your sack up, if you are careless.

The first time you need them, you'll realize how cheap they are, and question why you didn't buy two pair for the same shipping price in the first place.

Of all the expenses that our vices cost, keeping our body safe should be forefront.

:cheers:

I wear Husky chaps when it's hot out and Husky paints with suspenders etc when it's cold out, they are like ski pants, very thick. I feel naked when wearing the chaps...I'm not sure I like how open they are around the crotch area...the...hmmm privates.... are one thing but there are some serious arteries down there that I don't want a chainsaw anywhere near...but those pants are to hot for a warm day.

I knew a guy that nicked one of 'those' arteries in his workshop, he bled out before he could make it across the room to get help! Pants/ trousers could be the way to go, most of my cutting is during the winter, only short spells during the summer.

Cheers

:)

I have Labonville pants, class C. I like them because they can act as a coverall, though I do need to pull my boots off.

The custom made them for a 41 inch leg, so they come all the way down to my boot top, and up to my belly. With the riser in the back they look almost like waders with the suspenders on.

No extra cost for the custom size either.

Latest posts

Back