chimeny help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevejr33

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My stove is being stoked buy the wind tonight. Any ideas? chimney to short? already have problems with rain cap/ spark screen. could that be it? house is hot with windows open.

i would suggest turning your stove down untill it puts off the level of heat your looking for. shut it down all the way if you have too. or if you have to just burn half the day or just at night. if its just to hot stop burning.

Stove choked off all the way fore the controls i have. I am still setting hear with two windows open. I suppose still better than paying the gas man.

I have the same "problem" when the wind kicks up. Cut the primary air down completely and it still tries to burn you out of the house. Not much you can do aside from open a couple windows. Stevejr is right, beats paying the gas man!

My stove is being stoked buy the wind tonight. Any ideas? chimney to short? already have problems with rain cap/ spark screen. could that be it? house is hot with windows open.

how is your pipe situated? str8 up or through the wall? are you using black pipe in the house? if so i put one of those cast iron dampers about half way up where it attaches to the selkirk chimney when it starts doing that when windy i shut it almost all the way off. seem's to help mine.:cheers:

Spell check?

Seriously, had the same problem with a smaller stove. Too good of a draft with a 24' straight chimney through the middle of the house, then even better when the wind blew. Installed a barometric damper in the stove pipe right above the stove. Got better consistency with the burns, even a longer burn times, but at a cost of terrible creosote levels due to the introduction of cold air at the damper. The barometric damper works, but I didn't like the extreme creosote build up.

Latest posts

Back