chip pictures wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'd like to compile a gallery of pictures of chips produced by various chains, woods, and stages of sharpening.

I've come upon people using a chainsaw and just by the pile of dust on the ground that they either had an extremely dull chain or it was on backwards.

Can any of you post pictures, preferably with a byline for attribution, the type of wood, chain, sharpening etc.

I'm not planning on publishing a tome, just want to be able to point peeps to a thread to say "Red oak with a sharp 3/8" ripping chain should make chips like this".

Here's a picture of some from 3 different chains. The lighter colored is fresh cut elm from the stump cut. It was cut with stihl RSK out of the box, which is round ground. The narrower of the other 2 is from oregon CK square ground with the gullets cleaned out but cutter not touched up, the wider is the oregon CKX square ground the way it came out of the box. Both of the square ground chains were run in sassafras that was blown down about 3 weeks ago. All the chains are 3/8s.

001-6.jpg

Last edited:
Back