Cleaning Poulan Air Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. So recently I bought a well used Poulan 3314 chainsaw in non running condition. It came without the air filter and cover, of which I did not see in the picture, nor did I know until I got it home that it had a cover as well. Anyways, I contacted the seller (semi-locally), and asked him about it. He apologized for the mistake and we met up this evening and he gave both to me. However, the air filter was dirty and I cannot find any replacement locally (Poulan part # 530057925). So, I went ahead and blew out the filter followed by a washing in the sink with dish liquid followed by a rinse. It is now drying. Anyways, short ordering a couple replacement filter from China and waiting over 3 months to get it, is it alright to just use the current one till I can find a replacement? I am hoping when I visit the US in the spring I can find one down there. Also to note in case it makes a difference, I am not cutting wood with the saw, but rather just tuning it up. Thank you.

Ok. I just read the manual and it has cleaning recommendations close to what I had done, so it looks like I may be in the clear to use it for now till I find a replacement. Thanks.

OK. Thank you. Out of curiousity, why soak it in the fuel mix before installing the filter? What does that do? I have heard of doing this before, but did not know why. Thanks.

Most of the Poulan manuals say to just use some two stroke oil on the foam type filters. Work the oil in by hand evenly and squeeze out the excess.

The only advantage I can see to using mixed fuel is that it will flow into the foam easily. The gas will evaporate but the oil will stay behind. Might not get enough oil worked into the foam with this method.

Should be a felt filter, wash it in warm soapy water til clean, rinse and let dry, you'll be good to go. That's all I do to those. The foam filters don't have a cover, just a tight fit into the housing.

Steve

Should be a felt filter, wash it in warm soapy water til clean, rinse and let dry, you'll be good to go. That's all I do to those. The foam filters don't have a cover, just a tight fit into the housing.

Steve

You’re right Steve. I thought he was talking about the foam ones I usually run across on the Poulan saws.

Learned something new today:cheers:

Yes, that is right. It is a felt type filter. I was going to mention that earlier, but I was not sure if it was felt or not. I didn't want to sound stupid in saying that. Thank you.
af110.jpg

Latest posts

Back