Climbing kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdocdave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on climbing kits, I see a handful of options out there. I really have no climbing equipment, and I'm looking at the entry level kits out there from 450-650 bux. Id appreciate any and all input on which ones come with what that is better than any other. Are there any parts to these kits that are better, or parts that are missing that are a must have to get started.

Here's some links to what I see:

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=180&item=267#detail

http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/basic-spur-climbing-kit.html

http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/custom-climbing-kits.html

http://www.westechrigging.com/climbing-kit-1.html#.Usdms_RDvk8

I also found a Buckingham 1379 Tree Pole Climbing Saddle w/ Floating Dee Ring at a local pawnshop and it may come with a rope for $90. It appears to be the same saddle that comes in some of these kits.

Some come with rope. Where do you guys buy yours, and if I have no rope, what would be the best to start out with for starting to climb and dismantle some trees.

Thanks.

I see that some of those kits use spikes/gaffs/climbers while one or two are rope-only climbing. May I pass on a suggestion I was given when I started my journey up into the trees? Two of your links include a hardcopy of "The Tree Climber's Companion." You should buy a copy and read it forward and backward (and study relevant YouTube videos) until you comprehend at least 80% of it ... it's a great resource and I wish I had purchased it sooner. After reading it a few times, you should be well educated, know which direction you're headed (removals, trimming, both), and avoid some expensive purchases of the wrong gear. Jus' my 2-cents worth. DAMHIK

^ I agree 100%, I have ordered that book already, and I've spent countless hours on youtube videos and other relevant sites and videos. I have not made any purchases yet for that exact reason, I do not want to waste money on poorly thought out purchases.

My first kit will most likely be spike climbing kit as I'm going to be focusing on removals

Glad to hear it. Also, don't feel that you're limited to online kits. I piece-mealed my initial collection, and most of the components were purchased from a local crane & rigging supply store. Plus, many local lawn n' garden shops carry a small variety of climbing gear, including my favorite Stihl dealer.

I would love to be able to piece a set of gear together, I love craigslist and I always find awesome deals, but i don't know enough about anything yet to know individually what is correct, or a good piece of gear, or a junk piece. I did find that saddle locally that sounds like a good deal, since it is around 120 to 150 online alone.

I fully agree with Hoowasat, git the The Tree Climber's Companion. Read it.

Forget that pawn shop Buckingham. At best its a torture device. No padding, no support.
Dont buy any gravity defying gear second hand, you can't know its history, - overloaded, splashed with acid or solvent, UV degradation, squirrel cooties, etc. Second hand rope or biners can only be considered for light rigging.

I am mostly self taught but learned some from an old school contract climber. He was a safety terror but imparted wisdom regarding line angles, species specific attributes, structure, tree assessment, that internet cant give you. Learn from a pro if ya can. Go slow and stay aware of your ignorance if ya cant.

I am not a master rigger but will say this. - Learn all you can about the tools, angles and forces involved. Failure to understand how to properly set up and load a system could provide some unsuspecting neighborhood the horrifying spectacle of death and destruction.

Climb gear is pricey enough but proper rigging gear costs bigger money. The dimmer your ground help, the more it will cost ya.

Then theres the truck and chipper!$$$$

What experience do you have?

Thanks guys, forget the used climbing equipment, makes sense.

I have been doing tree work in my spare time for a a few years now, and its turned in to more and more work, and gone from friends, to friends of friends, and so on. I'm deciding to proceed to the next level. Go from some guy with some saws, to gaining some real experience, and proper technique and equipment. I have a good full time job, and I want to do more tree work not because I'm hungry and need work, but because I enjoy the work. I like that its always different, no two jobs are the same, and its like a puzzle or chess game, you are always thinking about the reactions to this move, and what moves will be next as a result.

Right now I have a dually truck, trailer, some saws, very small chipper, and insurance. I need to learn to climb and get the proper equipment to do so to actually do real work, and I'm not going to go out and buy a bucket truck and chipper right away.

I certainly understand your mindset.

My humble opinion: The Buckingham Ergovation Economy is a good lightweight saddle, works nice in canopy. For removals, a Cougar with batten seat would be my choice on a budget.
New England Safety Blue climb line.
Arborplex climb line. To use as big lanyard and as second line for better work positioning.
Boat snap to tend slack.
4 double locking, life rated biners.
A couple biners for redirects.
Spurs. Don't know what to say here cause no two guys here seem to agree on budget spurs. (some will insist Geckoes!) I would suggest two pair, one with tree spikes and other with short pole spikes. If ya get lineman spurs off kathyslist as a second set, replace the old straps!
Leather gaff guards. Uncovered gaffs have a way of finding delicate things to destroy. I painted mine bright blue so i can find em when dropped on ground/leaves.
Budget throwline, 16oz and 12oz throw weights.
10', 5/8ths steel core lanyard w hip prussic. If you do battle with big cottonwoods regularly, get a longer lanyard. The longer length can be a real pain when ya don't need it though.
House friction saver. Protect your climb line and for those times you're trimming a keeper.
Get 50' of 1'' webbing to make tethers, footholds, redirects...
Plastic totes, 5 gal buckets, and cat litter buckets to stow your kit.

As basic as I can think of it. Others can pick it apart or add to it.

I order mostly from treestuff but I'll say that I'd prefer the kits wesspur offers. You could start by using the entry level kit for reference and piecing together your own. As your experience grows add gear as you need/want. And you'll still need rope even if your only doing removals.

You may already know this, but before climbing to any height, practice with your future gear and various techniques close to the ground ... low and slow. My first time trying to rappel with a Rescue-8 was off the lowest step of a ladder. I repeated several times and did not move up to the second rung until I had also become competent with securing the rope and re-establishing a descent mode (The little drop one feels when going back to descent was initially a little unnerving, but one gets used to it). Then I tried 'em all over again from the second rung ... building confidence and experience along the way.

At least the wesspur saddle has a supportive back. Cotton canvas junk is a non starter.

I stopped paying attention to kits years ago, always some bits ya don't need.

Sooner or latter, some one will want you to clear limbs away from a roof, tidy up a shattered crown or clear limbs for the sake of a satellite dish. You will need ropes and redirects. (as joezilla stated, ya need at least one life line) Canopy movement and limb walks in a saddle sufferable for most removals will have you walking funny for a week.

If you like the chess game of removals, smart pruning and care of good trees will be satisfying. Don't be spur pruning the hood though.

Don't forget to tie on your hard hat.

Looked at the various kits and all the saddles with the exception of the deluxe kits are going to be very uncomfortable. I would suggest if you can, try various saddles on before purchasing. Save some more money and buy a quality saddle. Your body will thank you in twenty years. I climb with a modular saddle designed by Don Blair at Sierra Moreno. Very simple design and comfortable.

You guys are great, thanks for all the helpful info.

I plan to start low and slow and I have about 5 trees of my own I'm going to get comfortable in. No spur pruning.

I well know the importance of quality equipment. Cheaper saddles are going to be harder on the bod. I will not be climbing every day though. Maybe a few times a month, do you think that the entry level saddles will be tolerable for that?

Learning to climb without spurs is the way to go anyways it will make you a better climber learning without spurs.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

You guys are great, thanks for all the helpful info.

I plan to start low and slow and I have about 5 trees of my own I'm going to get comfortable in. No spur pruning.

I well know the importance of quality equipment. Cheaper saddles are going to be harder on the bod. I will not be climbing every day though. Maybe a few times a month, do you think that the entry level saddles will be tolerable for that?

You can climb with those saddles. The issue is comfort. If you have a high tolerance for pain and suffering go for it. I found that if I am not distracted by a uncomfortable saddle, I can concentrate on the the work at hand and actually enjoy it.

I will not be climbing every day though. Maybe a few times a month, do you think that the entry level saddles will be tolerable for that?
You could find yourself in a tree for hours on end, and an uncomfortable saddle will be identified quick enough via your bum. I've spent as much as 5 hours at a time up there ... and that's probably because I don't do it often enough to develop the real time-saving skills that the pros here have. The saddle is the key piece of gear since it must cradle your body. If the saddle is uncomfortable, you could end up feeling miserable.

I started with a Buckingham tower-style harness because I liked how the weight of my other gear was transferred to my shoulders. I was comfortable in it and felt quite secure ... but it is a heavy harness (about 8#). I was OK with the weight because I didn't plan on using it often. I've since obtained a Petzl Avao saddle with a removeable shoulder harness. In addition to weighing about 3#, I can leave the shoulder harness on the ground when climbing by rope. I really liked the Buckingahm, but I LOVE the Petzl.

Last edited:
Back