CLIMBING PADS AND SPURS- caddy pads vs buckingham big buck super wraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, i have been in the tree buisness for about 10 years and started climbing about 6 years ago. i still have original spurs and looking to upgrade from t-pads to something more comfortable. so the question is whats better, caddy pads or im interested in the buckingham big buck velcro wraps with metal insert. I just want what ever is more comforatable and long lasting. Also i have been using the 2 3/4 tree gaffs and want to go down to 1 3/4 gaffs, since thats all you need for the area im in and apparently work much better on the trees in my area. i have the steel buckingham shanks which i can change out the spurs but was wondering if the aluminum or titanium shanks are alot better? or not? I dont think I will save a whole lot of money by replacing my spurs and pads and keeping the original shanks. plus i will have 2 sets if i buy a whole other set. Thanks in advance for any input.

I use caddy aluminum pads on klien spurs and they are much better than t pads but I am going to switch to Geckos as most that have used them really like them.

I've got the big buck pads but not the wraps. I lovem! Comfy comfy! As for your t-pads if you've been using those for years my hats off to you! I used the t-pads one time and one time only... Do yourself a favor man.

I've got the angled wraps and titanium and love em I would like to try the geckos but the weight limit on them is 220lbs and I'm 225 without gear

Welcome to ArboristSite!!

I've used the cast aluminum pads. Don't like them. This year I got the non Velcro BigBucks. And made straps for them. They are like wearing pillows on my legs. Most comfortable pads I ever wore.

I think its good to have 2 complete pair of spurs. I'de get a complete set were I you. Just my opinion.

Back