Clove hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdrebin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the benefits of redirecting my SRS climbing line through a runner/carabiner combo vs. runner/carabiner+clove hitch from a load balancing standpoint? Retrievability is not a concern. Thanks.

A clove hitch around what? Not understanding the question...
A clove hitch around what? Not understanding the question...
There are two redirect scenarios: one is climbing line going through a carabiner - simple redirect - and the second scenario is climbing line tied to carabiner with a clove hitch.

In both scenario the carabiner is itself tied to a branch with a runner.

The question is how these two scenarios compare with respect to load balancing between the runner anchor and he climbing line anchor.

There are two redirect scenarios: one is climbing line going through a carabiner - simple redirect - and the second scenario is climbing line tied to carabiner with a clove hitch.

In both scenario the carabiner is itself tied to a branch with a runner.

The question is how these two scenarios compare with respect to load balancing between the runner anchor and he climbing line anchor.
The climbing line runs freely thru the carabiner in the first scenario whereas it is captive - and taught I should add - in the second.

Depends what I'm doing, if I've got the runner choked around an 8" diameter solid red oak limb and the redirect isn't super far away? I put the line in a running configuration so the redirect shares load

4" hickory on a windy day? I use a clove hitch otherwise as the tree sways it can lift you up and down multiple feet (and make slack tending/ascending a real pain)

Latest posts

Back