Cold Weather Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ax or maul will keep you good and warm. I don’t like splitting wood in the dead of winter. Cold seems to be very hard on equipment and me. I don’t know if they actually make splitters that are designed to function in brutal cold. Couple of years ago, we tried to start a splitter that had sat out overnight at -15 degrees. Hydraulic oil was like sludge and the engine would not start as the hydraulic pump could not move the oil. Ended up having to put the torpedo heater on the hydraulic tank for almost an hour to get the oil moving again. By the end of the day, temp outside had warmed up to the mid 50’s and we were swimming in mud. Gotta love New England.

What suggestion would you make for the best cold weather splitter.

Mish,

Any of 'em work well enough if warmed up a bit.
I don't think any have an advantage in the cold.

Swapping out the Universal Hydro fluid for ATF works really well, but it's a pain in the Butt. It's easier to just put the salamander on the thing for 20min. then get splitting. Running less hydro speeds warm up, but could lead to cavitation in the heat, and that ain't good.

Maybe one of you Canucks could make a buck or two with a 12v Resevoir heating blanket LOL!!!
I have thought about it, I'll admit it. :D

Good luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What suggestion would you make for the best cold weather splitter.

+1 too a maul! Unless you have an indoor, heated garage or barn, the 8lb. maul is best as it works well (best/easiest) on frozen wood and will warm you up while you're at it! Any other (hydraulic) unit will take a beating in these sub zero temps :cheers:

PS: As Dinger noted ATF works quite well as a substitute for hydraulic oil. I use it in mine year round.

Last edited:
I picked up a block heater at the local auto parts store. It's magnetic and sticks pretty strongly to any steel. For $80 you could buy two: one for the motor and one for the hydralic tank of the splitter. All you need is access to electricity.

Mish,

Any of 'em work well enough if warmed up a bit.
I don't think any have an advantage in the cold.

Swapping out the Universal Hydro fluid for ATF works really well, but it's a pain in the Butt. It's easier to just put the salamander on the thing for 20min. then get splitting. Running less hydro speeds warm up, but could lead to cavitation in the heat, and that ain't good.

Maybe one of you Canucks could make a buck or two with a 12v Resevoir heating blanket LOL!!!
I have thought about it, I'll admit it. :D

Good luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Get a honda. Seriously, I have never had good luck trying to start a briggs in real cold weather, on my 25 ton spee co, even with 10w30 in it, when it gets around 0 you can barley turn the 10hp motor over. The unit already has atf in it. The motor has a aluminum block, so you cannot use one of those magnetic heaters to warm it up. As stated above if you put a kerosene heater on it for 20 minutes, it makes a WORLD of difference.

Get a honda. Seriously, I have never had good luck trying to start a briggs in real cold weather, on my 25 ton spee co, even with 10w30 in it, when it gets around 0 you can barley turn the 10hp motor over. The unit already has atf in it. The motor has a aluminum block, so you cannot use one of those magnetic heaters to warm it up. As stated above if you put a kerosene heater on it for 20 minutes, it makes a WORLD of difference.

Agree the Honda's start well, as does the Tecumseh on mine, but the motor's not the problem really. It's the ATF or Hydraulic fluid being so cold and cavitating the pump. Not good!

I have an 8 hp. B&S on my old Gilson snowblower. That bugger has the large snowmobile type handle on the recoil and for good reason! I pull it over 5-6 times first before turning the ignition switch on. While it seems like it would never start (while pulling) it always does come too life with a putt/burp and small cloud of smoke for the first 5 seconds :clap: . It's the original motor from 1974. Back then they made them heavy duty! It weights allot compared too today's comparable models. :cheers:

+1 too a maul! Unless you have an indoor, heated garage or barn, the 8lb. maul is best as it works well (best/easiest) on frozen wood and will warm you up while you're at it! Any other (hydraulic) unit will take a beating in these sub zero temps :cheers:

Amen to that, brother. I only split in frigid weather (if I can). It's the right way to split... nice and easy, maul doesn't get stuck... hell this weekend I split a piece for my stove that fell into three pieces with one strike. Now that's what I call wood splittin weather.

For the amount and type of wood I split, I can split faster than a lot of hydraulic splitters anyhow.

I absolutely HATE Imported stuff, especially Honda.

But Dangit if they don't run well, and start better than anything else in the cold.

I have a couple Honda small engines on pumps, and on the splitter.
It kills me to admit it, but they flat out run better than the B&S units they replaced.
I still hate Honda though..

One Honda powered Banjo pump is currently frozen into the ice in my field.
Just like it was last year. I hate it.
Come spring, I'll drain it, change the plug and oil. Gas it up and I figure three pulls later it will start. Just like last year.
I hate it, so I don't feel guilty about not remembering the thing untill after the freeze.

B&S needs to step things up, I miss beating the crap out of them on the farm.

LOL!!!!
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Get a honda.

Both of our splitters are Honda powered. I have always found Hondas to be a little cold blooded. You need to run them on ½ choke for several minutes or they will stall under load. Once the oil warms up they seem to be fine.

Thanks for all your advise.

When I start looking for a splitter this Spring I will be looking for one with a Honda engine and I will use ATF instead of basic hydraulic fluid.

Currently I wouldn't be splitting anything it is -31 outside and my wood that needs splitting is under 2 feet of snow. The reason why I needed something that is a little more cold blooded is that the temps here tend to be on the colder side. Winter started early last year and ended late. (We had < 35 temps in June and even had some frost in August).
So something that can work between 10-32 would be needed so I can get the wood processed in April, May and early June timeframe to start the seasoning process and before mosquito hunting season begins.

My little Swisher cheapo splitter also has a lever that you can pull to release tension on the belt that goes from the motor to the pump. That way, you can start the motor, let it warm up and then engage the pump. It has worked well at 5*, which is the coldest that I have tried to start it. If you jam in the lever, it will kill it, so just ease it in to get things moving, and then fully engage. The motor is a 7 hp briggs and starts on the second or third pull when dead cold.

That's what I do.

It's a lot easier to put the heater on for 20min do something else in the meantime, than fruitless pulling which can lead to later problems to machine and person.

Good Point, Stein

I would second your motion on the Swisher splitters. I have two of them and that cold weather clutch makes such a difference in the winter. I have never had any problems with these units and would recommend them without any reservations whatsoever.

Just split some Elm, Maple, and Ash, yesterday evening at -3 degrees. That Fiskars Super Splitting Axe popped those rounds apart like walnuts on an anvil. That teflon coating glides right through when they're frozen. I actually had a couple splits fly from my chopping block and hit the house, 15 feet away.

Love that frozen hand splitting....

TS

Latest posts

Back