Completed my XP550 exhaust mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tollster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After about a month and a half I decided to modify the muffler. I found throttle response has improved, top end has no limit, and no loss in torque. The autotune adjusted very fast to the point that I only saw improvement, and that was within the first half tank if that. With this mod I have found myself backing off threw top end when not needed just to save wear and tear on the rings.
I honestly did not think it could not be improved upon. Took about 15 minutes, muffler hex nuts where easy access using a "T" handle, only had to remove top air cover.
8301181289_cc10212bef_c.jpg

Although not visible in this image, the hole is tear dropped shape, the narrow portion is hidden by the heat shield in this image and the paint is still tacky.
8301176733_6a7b7a5a39_c.jpg

I was able to retain the spark arrestor screen for a clean look, it is louder than stock, how much is hard to say, but I would say its 1.5 times as loud. This has been repainted using BBQ flat black, I can not feel any heat being projected onto the brake handle or air filter cover, which was a concern I had since this it not under the deflector.
8302231250_3d5fed942f_c.jpg

I used a Dremal cone burr for all work, no drill bits, as I did not want to twist the metal, the cone burr cleared the heat deflector with very minimal damage only do to human error (if you won at operation when you where a kid, you're set!), the barrel burr would not clear the heat shield, only the cone burr would.
8302229656_7695ab39a5_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back