Concerned about structural staking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
2 issues:

1.) I have 2 young trees that have 45* bends in the stem. I took the bamboo that was being used to stake the entire tree and tied it to the stem to straighten it out.
The twine I am using is marking the bark, and I know that after a while it will start to cut into the bark. Not from a standpoint of tying the twine too tight, just from the act of pulling the stem upright. Any better way to do this? How long will it take to straighten the stem?

2.) One of these trees had a nasty lean to it. I planted it straight, but it still had a little curve at the base, and during a recent storm it started an ever so slight lean. To correct this, I pulled it upright and tied it off to an iron post. Is this ok? I am concerned the tree will get reliant on the post and loose its stability. But at the same time, if I don't stake it, I'm afraid it will lean more and more.

And yes, I know, buying quality stock would avoid all this, but I got a deal on these trees and I am willing to go through a little extra work to turn these bad little guys into quality trees.

Last edited:
whitenack said:
I am concerned the tree will get reliant on the post and loose its stability. But at the same time, if I don't stake it, I'm afraid it will lean more and more. .
So stake it in a manner that allows the trunk to move and thicken. Use 2 stakes across from each other. Don't correct minor bends or leans; the tree should do that by itself because it's got the Power.:bowdown:

I have a skinny 5" cedar that got bowed bad due to snow--almost 90 degrees. I never got around to tying it up, and watched it slowly straighten itself. In a year it was plumb vertical.:yoyo:

Back