Converting a G777 to G777B, possible? Worth the cost and effort?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a used Granberg G777 and just starting to get acquainted with it. Looks like I could "upgrade" it to G777b by changing to the new end bracket and post clamp.

The say it is easier to adjust and stronger. Worth doing?

Picked up a used Granberg G777 and just starting to get acquainted with it. Looks like I could "upgrade" it to G777b by changing to the new end bracket and post clamp.

The say it is easier to adjust and stronger. Worth doing?
You mean to a G778-24? Stronger, yes, no deflection potential. But have to run a bigger bar cause your max log width with that style mill is six inches less than bar length. With 24" rails there are about 22" between the clamps, so that's the max mill width. You'd need to go to a 24" bar to cut 18" logs and a 28" bar to max out the mill's capacity around 22". Tall order for your existing saw with your setup. I've considered upgrading my G777 but would never pay $148 for the kit just to make it a 24" Alaskan mill. You're limited from further length expansion to 36 or 48" mill by it not having the stabilizer tube.

I just picked up a 24" Granberg G778 on Ebay, used a few times, for $102 plus $14 shipping. Had been looking for one for a good while around that price. I have 36" and 60" rail kits w a 20-30 year old Granberg Alaskan, and just wanted the cheapest second Alaskan I could find, no matter what rails were on it, so I could switch out the 36" rails on to it, and keep the old Alaskan permanently set up at 60". I nearly bought a crap China mill a few times, but didn't want to go through the headache of changing out all the hardware on it and not being able to trust it holding up. Glad I waited. So I'd keep an eye out for a second hand Granberg rather than spend more than I paid just to convert what you have.

Back