Corrosion Hole in Crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocosil

Rocosil

ArboristSite Member
Next chapter in my 031 repair saga. (Won't idle & won't restart when hot) The corrosion on the clutch side of the crankcase is worse than I expected - one 3/16" hole and another longer but narrower spot that is just about to give way. I guess that pretty much accounts for the problems I'm having with this old-timer.

I read Lakeside's incredible thread about repairs with JB Weld. What I'm not quite sure of is whether that sort of repair can be made on the crankcase itself. Can it? I've built several boats, so I'm used to working with epoxy, even for building fuel and water tanks. I'm just not sure how it stands up to the heat, pressure, and vibration you get with chainsaws.
Bob

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup.....it works pretty well.....just clean clean clean.....then clean it.....then clean it some more.....THEN epoxy the hole it helps if you roughen the magnesium a bit with files too......tooth for the plug

mattinky

mattinky

Addicted to ArboristSite
If it were me I'd try to find a good used crankcase, 031 parts are pretty easy to find... but that's just me, I would always worry about the repair holding. It might cost a little more to replace it but if it did'nt hold and you got an air leak you might be looking at a disaster. Just my $.02

Rocosil

Rocosil

ArboristSite Member
Better to post some pics so people can see if it is worth attempting though.....the description reads like a weak bearing mount possiblity

OK, here is an attempt to post a pic. I drive a Mac, so the instructions I found here for PCs don't quite penetrate my thick skull.
DSCN1394.jpg

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
If I'm seeing it correctly... That's just cosmetic - degrease, slap some JB on it - it will be fine...

The hot restart issue is likley not related to your crankcase corrosion.

Last edited: