crabapples in trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I know you are going to want pictures but I do not have any, so your best educated guess will mabe point me in the right direction. I have many southern crabapples on my property in south mississippi. I went to check my trusty deerstands this weekend in anticipation for the upcomming bow season and to my suprise my crabapples look like Sh#$! The apples are turning brown and shriveling up like a prune. The leaves are falling off, one tree in particular looks like it is in the heart of winter. The is very recent since the last time I was up there was two weeks ago and everything seemed fine. So give me your guess, mabe some things to look up. I do not think these trees will be a good spot for me this year, but I do want to save them and bring them back to health for next season.

One thing I usually do is look at the same type of tree on other properties in the area for comparison. Just to see if its an isolated problem or not. Sometimes, even if I'm sure I know what's going on.

Like most crabapples, Southern crabapple is susceptible to fireblight, cedar apple rust, apple scab, canker, scale, borers and aphids.
Take your pick and run it down. Send pictures if you can.

Latest posts

Back