Curly leaf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tirb12

Reaction score
The leaves on my Tangelo tree are extremely curly, the fruit is growing nicely, and taste last season was great. Now the 2 orange trees close by are developing curly leaves, what can I do?

I live in Arizona, water 4x week for 20 mins, seems to be a little less water than my neighbours with healthy trees. I fertilize with a citrus tree fertilizer 4/5 times a year. Help !

Brenda

Tangelo leaves normally have a little bit of a curl to them if I'm remembering correctly. That, or you may have leaf miners. Are the leaves rolled up, or just curly/wavy? Look under the leaves. Do you see any bugs, eggs, or squiggly trails?

Curling leaves always get me to look for caterpillars. Look for spider web looking threads and droppings as in the form of poppy seed looking stuff. I am up in the north east so just trying to help but definitely no expert on this tree.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I checked out the tangello, which I am told is more a tangerine!

Most of the tree's last year growth is extremely curled up, lotsa light colored blobs, lotsa yellow, lot of tight curls and rolls, some new good looking growth, no black spots, no caterpillers, no bugs, eggs or squiggly trails ... no weed killer has been used in the past 2 years since I have lived there.

Now spread to my other 3 (different varieties) orange trees and am getting worried as they have patches of the same light blobs and leaves starting to curl.

When I get stumped on a tree problem, I turn to the local university extension office. Most have testing facilities that allow you, for a nominal fee, to send in a sample for testing.
Another option for fruit trees, is to take a sample, sealed in a zip-loc bag, to a local orchard. They might be friendly enough to offer some advice.
This site really needs a good southern California arborist posting.

It's Citrus Greening aaaaaagh!!!
Just kidding, I don't think they have greening in AZ. If there is truly no evidence of bugs, it leaves only deficiencies and diseases. If it's a disease, then don't know that there's much that you can do. We'll just hope that it is a deficiency, and say put some fertilizer on it. Include manganese and magnesium to help green it up, and consider using an iron spray. I'd recommend a balanced fertilizer such as a 10-10-10, although if you really want to give it a boost, try a 21-0-21 if you can find it.

Latest posts

Back