Cutting in a burn area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddhaKat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going with a Ranger tomorrow to scope out a burn area for firewood harvesting. I cut a little bit in a burn area last year and all I have to say is BLECH! Hated it! But, there isn't much wood available around here and I need to do something if I want to get more than a few cords. There are huge advantages to cutting in these areas, the biggest of which being I get a contracted area. I get to cut it all to the exclusion of everyone else, and I get to do it for $5/cord.

So just how bad is wood with a little bit of char on it to deal with and sell?

I think you have answered your own question. You know it's nasty working conditions, but if wood is scarce, maybe it's worth it to you. Around here charred timber is worthless, and trees are pushed up into a pile and burned.
About the only cutting we have ever done is when trees are damaged near structures and need to be removed carefully. I don't know of anybody that would want it, but then again, wood is plentiful here.
Good luck, maybe the tops are still in good condition and salvageable.

Well hardwood is going for $350 a cord, softwood around $220-$250. Well it was until we had a mild winter and everyone and his mother decided to get into the firewood business. There is zero private cutting areas and the forest service has milked every dead or down cutting area to the last toothpick. There are no logging areas up for grabs and only one area that will let you cut a live tree down, but it's for personal use only, 6 cord max limit, won't open until June and will close from July through October 1st. The area is also so small you can drive around the whole thing in 10 minutes. At that, they're still parceling it up and marking every tree that can be cut, and won't open another section until they're all gone. Usually has 15 or 20 people cutting on it per day on the weekends.

burnt wood

I live in Escondido and there were a few forrest fires around here the last few years. I have a friend who has hundreds of cords of eucalyptus that was standing dead he cut them down and hauled then back to his yard and split them. A lot of the damage was in the bark and that came off with splitting. Of course if the rounds are very large the center won't be burnt. Most of the wood was sellable a small portion was charged and he used it for personal use of gave it away. I would think you could make some good money with the burnt wood David

You know this but for the good of the order

Air filters clog with soot really fast.

Extra effort needed there.

People clog with soot really ..........

=============

If you can get trees that were killed by a fire a couple years ago with rough handling the bark often comes off and the wood below is OK for taking in a home.
Last years fire not so good for debarking.

==============

I'm retired from the agency and most of us just hated the way we were obssessive compulsive about saving dead wood. There is a need for a certain amount of down and dead but my experience was we were absurd about it.

I apologize for those hassles for you and others.

I have been around this nasty stuff quite a bit. First and foremost, my wife told me "never again" on the black stuff. She hated the mess on the floor, and on her hands just loading the stove. Second, I have been told, and have to agree that alot of the BTU has been used out of the wood already, and as you know, softwoods are not real high to start with. I really struggled with the load that I had getting the stove temps up. I had a 12 cord semi load delivered once, never again. Strangely though, I really did not have a lot of issues with my saw cutting up this mess, the chain seemed to hold and edge fairly well. I keep one old piece of it as a chopping block to remind me to never consider it again.

I clear cut a 5 acre patch of fire killed big willow. Dirty to cut and work up but the bark peeled fairely easily using a draw knife. I would cut the rounds then clean them. Very few pieces had any char after the bark was gone.

Took me 5 years to complete and the bark was only a problem for the first two - after that it was falling off on its own.

Harry K

It's hard for me to imagine with oil under 40/bbl, that people would pay 350/cord for wood? Especially dirty grubby already part burnt wood ? In the end, it doesn't matter what we think here, 'cause we aren't buying it. I'd try to line up some customers before I hauled tons of that stuff home only to find nobody wanted it.

Latest posts

Back