cutting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthegross

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was cutting a pretty big oak today saw got dull and i sharpened it. when i returned to cutting i noticed my saw was now cutting on an angle. i would get a quarter way through the log and it would just start to turn. i have just started sharpining the chain with a dremmel tool. my question is is this my cutting technic or the way im sharping my blade or do i just need get a new chain????

husky 359 20'' bar

chain sharpening

Hello, allthegross

It sounds to me like you have un-equally sharpened chain links.

I learned quite a bit about chain saw sharpening on the oregon chain website.

There is excellent info there. I learned that there a multiple variables when it comes to sharpening a chain saw chain. Check it out, read and learn. oregonchain.com

JJ

i was cutting a pretty big oak today saw got dull and i sharpened it. when i returned to cutting i noticed my saw was now cutting on an angle. i would get a quarter way through the log and it would just start to turn. i have just started sharpining the chain with a dremmel tool. my question is is this my cutting technic or the way im sharping my blade or do i just need get a new chain????

husky 359 20'' bar

I think you'll get more information if you post this in the Chainsaw thread. Theres a lot of people there that like to help with these kinds of problems.
:cheers: Bob

So the change in cutting performance occurred after you sharpened??

This would indicate a technique issue, and the problem you describe will occur when one side of the cutters are sharper/longer than the other side. You may benefit from a manual sharpening guide, that controls depth, and helps you with maintaining angles more uniformily. An issue that occurs with high speed stones of tiny diameter, is the pores of the stones 'load up' with material, so you may have done one side/set of cutters, then gone to the other side, and the stone was toooo smooth to sharpen efficiently. Try using a fresh stone for each side, then cut some wood and see if there is a difference, it's one way to pinpoint a technique issue.

As others have mentioned, bar rails could also be a culprit, check the rails for burrs, and uneven wear, left rail vs. right rail.

Dressing the bar to even out the rails will help eliminate possible problems/causes, and is part of good maintenance practices. It would behoove you to become proficient at this as well as cutter sharpness.

Keep at it, and you will figure it out, we've all been there.

Last edited:
Back