Cycle Time and Splitting Force of 3 point hitch splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigoak00

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, First post here.
We have about 40 acres of tops from a cut on our farm last year and I am looking for a splitter. I am searching for a used splitter, gas or 3 pt hitch, but they are hard to find. Tractor Supply sells a decent looking 3 pt splitter made by Speeco for $670 but I'm not sure if it will do the job. The pump on my 45 hp tractor is 10 gpm. The cylinder on the splitter is 4 by 24. Will that be enough to give me a decent cycle time and splitting force?
Thanks for any replies.

Welcome. I looked into a 3-point hitch splitter from tractor supply several years. The guy that I talked to said the pump on my 2810 Ford would be too slow. I don't recall what the specs for it were but I'll look it up if you can't get a definate answer.

I'm kind of glad that I got the 22 ton Huskee splitter with a 6 hp B&S. It saves wear and tear on my tractor and it doesn't take much fuel to run. The only regret is sometimes I wish that I had a bigger splitter but this one works pretty well.

Cylinder 4 inch bore and 24 inch stroke
Pump 10 gpm

Your outgoing cycle will be about 8 sec
ingoing depends on piston rod diam, , probobly around 4-6 sec
expected splitting force depends on system pressure, Power used is there too
3000 psi = 19 tons max 17.4 hp
2000 psi = 12 2/3 tons max 11.7 hp
1000 psi = 6 1/3 tons max 5.8 hp

Crank up rpm's will shorten cycletime, forces stay the same

P

Last edited:
Don't forget that 10 gpm [if you even get that at the splitter] and full pressure will only be with the tractor reved up some, maybe to pto speed. I doubt you'll come close at idle. My 2 cents, parts & maint. are a lot less for a 5 or 6.5 hp engine than for any tractor.

Don't forget that 10 gpm [if you even get that at the splitter] and full pressure will only be with the tractor reved up some, maybe to pto speed. I doubt you'll come close at idle. My 2 cents, parts & maint. are a lot less for a 5 or 6.5 hp engine than for any tractor.

well true, if center get fully closed when operating the directional valve the 10 gpm should show up at splitter except for internal leakage. (hopefully zero externalleak :) )
Is the pump rating 10 gpm is based on displacement and rpm we have to count internal leak losses in pump, that can cut 1-2 gpm depending on pump wear and system pressure

I dont like when pistons and pump are rated like 20tons or 10gpm, because it wount tell the full story. We also need to know what system pressure, piston dimensions, rpm and pump displacement, its based on.

Check with your tractor service provider if they have a flow meter, and then check the flow under system pressure at different rpm's. That will tell you the truth about your pump......

AKKAMAAN, true, a flow meter is the only way to know for sure. My IH has a 12 gpm pump, but 2 maybe 3 gpm is priority for the p. steering & brakes, figuring in other losses [valves, hose size & fitting] I'd be lucky to get 8 gpm after the remotes.

307300485.jpg

307300489.jpg

I too looked at the Speeco (about 5yrs ago) and bought it! Only I didn't intend to run it off the tractor pump. Plus the stand is a joke IMO. The pics show what I came up with and it work fantastic. 6 sec cycle time (about8 sec at 1500 engine RPM ). Tractor is really only on a fast idle and uses next to no fuel at all. Actually no more than a small Briggs with the benefit of speed and power plus I like the versatility of being able to raise and lower the rig to what height I like and I can tow a trailer or wagon to the woods if I want. Twice I sent pics to Speeco and they ignore me, at least for now. Total cost including custom fab work was about 1500.00 dollars. The basic unit was 500.00 when I bought it. The tank is 21gallons but I run half that in winter and about 3/4 of that in summer so I can regulate the fluid temp for the season. Pump is 21GPM Prince 540 PTO RPM.

AKKAMAAN, true, a flow meter is the only way to know for sure. My IH has a 12 gpm pump, but 2 maybe 3 gpm is priority for the p. steering & brakes, figuring in other losses [valves, hose size & fitting] I'd be lucky to get 8 gpm after the remotes.

well dont count steering and brakes as losses, you wont use them when running a log splitter. hose size & fitting dont cause flow losses unless leaking, same with valve except a very small internal leak...

Thanks for the replies. The power steering has it's own pump (5gpm) so the 10 would be mostly for the wood splitter. WKPoor--You have a great looking setup but right now can't afford something like that.

Latest posts

Back