Cylinder Hone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie101

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Again i am seeking advice. Today i bought a ms260c, ms260, 026 and a 024 at a farm auction that were in all one lot sold as not tested. I only thought they would be good for parts, paid £190 for all four. The cylinder on the 024 has one score below the exhauxt port that needs dressing out, i have a new piston kit to go in this saw but i was wondering if this hone kit would be any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYLINDER-HONE...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I have looked in each exhaust port of the other saws and they appear fine, i have not stripped them down as the washing machine is in bits on the bench waiting new bearings, (no room to move). I am used to 021, 023 025 series of saws i understand this type of hone is not suitable due to the ports on the cylinder.

What i really want to know is this type of cylinder hone a worth while addition to my tool kit for saw repairs? Or is it more suited to four stroke machines?
Thanks.

If you have a straight wall cylinder that style of hone works well. I've used them when working on automotive cylinders would good results.

Unfortunately, with the intake/exhaust ports machined into a two-cycle cylinder if one of the arms drops into them you're toast. You'll score the cylinder worse than the few scores you are trying to remove.

If you have a straight wall cylinder that style of hone works well. I've used them when working on automotive cylinders would good results.

Unfortunately, with the intake/exhaust ports machined into a two-cycle cylinder if one of the arms drops into them you're toast. You'll score the cylinder worse than the few scores you are trying to remove.

Yup, a stone hone will work on automotive cylinders, as well as brake cylinders. I've used them on air compressor cylinders and lots of "straight wall" cylinders. These are sometimes called glaze breakers too.

A ball/flex hone is still the way to go for a good cross hatch-for rings to seat.

Plating is about as thin as a sheat of newspaper, so if the scratch is more than a thousandth of an inch or two you will likely be through the plating before you have the scratch out. Also the ball hone is going to hit the areas at the edge of the ports hardest, so watch that it doesent strip the plating away from the sides of the ports.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back