Damage to tree root...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyandy

Reaction score
The attached images show some damage done today by my mother-in-law's dog. While digging, she scraped away the bark on top of a large exposed root. The root is just a few feet from the trunk. I don't know much about tree care and was wondering if the damage is bad enough to cause concern. If so are there are any steps - immediate and/or ongoing - that should be taken in order to protect the tree?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Andy

_MG_2952.jpg

_MG_2955.jpg

_MG_2959.jpg

Wecome to the site andy, Tree should recover from the damage, have seen much worse. To prevent it again, a layer of mulch around the base might help. If the tree was used as a tie out for the dog pick another spot. Tree also needs some pruning, the limbs are getting very heavy and breakage is a possibility in the near future.

Wecome to the site andy, Tree should recover from the damage, have seen much worse. To prevent it again, a layer of mulch around the base might help. If the tree was used as a tie out for the dog pick another spot. Tree also needs some pruning, the limbs are getting very heavy and breakage is a possibility in the near future.

What he said. :clap:

I would be more worried about if the dogs string was wrapped around the tree. IF that is the case.

I would be more worried about if the dogs string was wrapped around the tree. IF that is the case.

Not to worry - the dog was tied out to a metal stake. My wife and I have two good dogs. My mother in law's dog is sweet, but not given enough activity and discipline to keep her out of trouble... this should be a fun visit. :)

Back