Damn E-Clips over the clutch drum 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many 500i have you replaced?

Maybe a brief description or a pic or two would help more than a knee jer-kawf comment
It's pretty easy. You take the orange carb tuning screwdriver that comes with stihl saws. You insert it right or left of the clips center tab, place thum on clip, turn screwdriver, done..

I figured the new style washer was a big improvement. A lot less lost e clips. Just like bwalker said, that is what the orange screwdrivers are for. Now if you are windiing things up behind the washer, you probably will have to cut it out.
I would still keep the new washer though.

I figured the new style washer was a big improvement. A lot less lost e clips. Just like bealker said, that is what the orange screwdrivers are for. Now if you are windithings up behind the washer, you probably will have to cut it out.
windithings?

I've been using gunsmith screwdrivers, which are a bit thicker in the blade compared to the standard driver. Insert between the e clip opening and crankshaft, then twist / turn slowly which will bring the e clip out gradually.
For whatever reason if they go back on too easy, replace the clip to play it safe

I figured the new style washer was a big improvement. A lot less lost e clips. Just like bwalker said, that is what the orange screwdrivers are for. Now if you are windiing things up behind the washer, you probably will have to cut it out.
It probably is an improvement, but I not sure if ai have ever had a problem with the old style.
A common theme on these boards is anything new or anything changed is a POS... just like those gol darned electric carbs!

It probably is an improvement, but I not sure if ai have ever had a problem with the old style.
A common theme on these boards is anything new or anything changed is a POS... just like those gol darned electric carbs!
I never had issues with the old style...starting in '92 with my 066 RE and on to other Stihls.

It's pretty easy. You take the orange carb tuning screwdriver that comes with stihl saws. You insert it right or left of the clips center tab, place thum on clip, turn screwdriver, done..
Again...how many on the 500i have you replaced?
Ive done maybe a few hundred on other saws, never having a problem. This part is different. whether its a "Part" flaw in that the clip was thicker than others or a washer that was more shouldered than others, I don't know. There is no room for the tabs to extend or a screw driver/pry to push up on the ears.

Again...how many on the 500i have you replaced?
Ive done maybe a few hundred on other saws, never having a problem. This part is different. whether its a "Part" flaw in that the clip was thicker than others or a washer that was more shouldered than others, I don't know. There is no room for the tabs to extend or a screw driver/pry to push up on the ears.
Don't and won't own a 500I. Based on this thread I did remove the clutch off one last night. Sure it's slightly more difficult, but the screw driver method I mention still works fine. You just have to pry one side of the "E" up and work your way around. NOT HARD.

Latest posts

Back