Dealing with Protesters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp hallman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I start this post in Tom's honor!
Protesters are a way of life on big timber or salvage sales in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the time they are a waste of time and energy, sometimes a fun part of the day! Any "entertaining" stories lads? In south-western Oregon protesters placed a conex across the road leading into the sale and "camped" in it. This caught on pretty quickly with other protesters on other salvage sales. A faller I know tells the tale of his boss getting fed up with the cops(twigpigs) coddling the protesters. Early the next morning he tack welded the protesters in the conex and "skidded" them to the side of the road..."gently, skidded them to the side of the road he added." The sale went on.

Last edited:
Should have rattle-caned "FREE TIEBET" over the welds!

Kerry tried to slamb Bush in a debate the last election by pointing out that Bush singed the Healthy Forest Bill,,,,,,, and that Bush had money invested in a logging company!

Bush told the crowd that he didnt know that he was invested in a logging company, but it was good news to know! ,,,,, Bush then turned to Karry and asked "Why Kerry? Do you need Wood?" !

It turned out that Bush had money in an investment program that had a group of companies in it, one was a logging Co. ,,,,, Bush had like an $80.00 intrest!

Kevin

In Cave Junction, OR there was a sale about 10 or so years ago of old growth doug fir. It was called the Sugar Loaf sale. An old timer I know fairly well was cutting on the job, which day in and day out was loaded with protetstors. Finally they came into the strip and one of them climbed up a marked tree and taunted Jack Layton (the old cutter) and the other moved around amongst the trees just to be in the way aqnd stink the place up.
After finally having enough, Jack walked up to the base of the tree, the one the protestor had climbed. Jack looked up, pulled a lighter from his shirt pocket and started lighting the dry moss which went all the way up the tree. The moss ignited like it was fuel and shot up the tree. Some how the hippie managed to climb down a ways and they jump out, breaking a wrist and some other bumps and bruises.
Jack just went back to work - nothing happended - becasue the hippies actually tresspassed to get to the government land.
Oh boy, there are lots of stories around here - every FS job that come up is protested then thrown into court.

Tree Sling'r said:
In Cave Junction, OR there was a sale about 10 or so years ago of old growth doug fir. It was called the Sugar Loaf sale. An old timer I know fairly well was cutting on the job, which day in and day out was loaded with protetstors. Finally they came into the strip and one of them climbed up a marked tree and taunted Jack Layton (the old cutter) and the other moved around amongst the trees just to be in the way aqnd stink the place up.
After finally having enough, Jack walked up to the base of the tree, the one the protestor had climbed. Jack looked up, pulled a lighter from his shirt pocket and started lighting the dry moss which went all the way up the tree. The moss ignited like it was fuel and shot up the tree. Some how the hippie managed to climb down a ways and they jump out, breaking a wrist and some other bumps and bruises.
Jack just went back to work - nothing happended - becasue the hippies actually tresspassed to get to the government land.
Oh boy, there are lots of stories around here - every FS job that come up is protested then thrown into court.

That's a good story, sorry I missed that action. Three or so years ago the B&B fire burned a chunk of the Jefferson Wilderness. We got the OK to use chainsaws in the wilderness, which doesn't happen very often. It started drizzlin' the second or third week of September. We were packing in a few miles felling burned hazard trees. Some dandy sized pumkin's too! Myself, partner and our agency falling boss were strolling along when two dreadlocked hippies, barefoot and all, dripping wet and stinking stopped us and asked us where we thought we were going with our chainsaws. I couldn't help myself and told him...I think it was a him..."I thought I'd take advantage of this moisture and plant a garden". It floored him, he didn't know what to say. He was ready for an arguement and we didn't give him one. They both just kind of wandered off mumbling. The FALB radioed law enforcement, we fell trees.

jp hallman said:
I start this post in Tom's honor!
Protesters are a way of life on big timber or salvage sales in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the time they are a waste of time and energy, sometimes a fun part of the day! Any "entertaining" stories lads? In south-western Oregon protesters placed a conex across the road leading into the sale and "camped" in it. This caught on pretty quickly with other protesters on other salvage sales. A faller I know tells the tale of his boss getting fed up with the cops(twigpigs) coddling the protesters. Early the next morning he tack welded the protesters in the conex and "skidded" them to the side of the road..."gently, skidded them to the side of the road he added." The sale went on.
Twigpig, thats awesome, it should be like those old shows I have seen of the 60s, nightsticks swinging, teargas, police brutality, oh yeah. The huggers have definetly got the upper hand up here in regards to public opinion, it is just sickening, even the nightly news guys face when he is talking about some losers whining about tree cutting, of any kind. His eyebrows frown, his voice gets deep, he shakes his head, even when he is talking about legal, and I say totally legal treework or logging. Loggers have been taunted to no end, equipment vandalized, stopped from work, but as soon as a protester gets smacked, it is the end.

antigrassguy said:
The Monkeywrench Gang was a fun book. Hayduke Lives was OK as well.

I've read both books. I don't think anyone I work with in the woods would consider either book to be "fun". Eco-terrorism is a self defeating course of action. I know that if we caught anyone sabotaging our equipment and thus endangering our lives they'd probably wish that the cops had found them before we did.

What a waste the young fella' died. I was glad to hear that the loggers that found him, "...held his hand...comforted him...while rendering ad".
Reminds me of the protester that climbed the Cedar in Oregon couple years ago. Close to dark, November in eastern Oregon. A barefoot protester with no water, no food, nothing but the clothes on his back ran past the twigpigs and climbed a tree protesting harvest of "Old Growth" Cedar. The Cedar's in question were actually "Third growth" and were being thinned, not "clear cut" as the protesters claimed. AND, the tree the protester climbed wasn't flagged to be cut anyway.
The twigpigs in the area kept lights on the dude since it soon turned dark. They then had loggers limb the nearby trees to keep other protesters, that were hovering in the area from climbing anymore trees. The original climber got sleepy or something around Midnight. Since he didn't have a harness, or anything , not even a hank of rope, he fell out of the tree and bounced off a few limbs on the way down. Screwed him up a bit, knocked him out. He was hauled off to the hospital and released eleven days later. Two days after the thinning job was completed. That lil' dumbass was Tre-Arrow. His eleven day stay in the hospital costs taxpayers several grand, not to mention other costs associated with the protest. He and his little troup of friends went on to burn trucks, buildings, etc. all for the environment. Glad they caught him.

No tears, but his folks might need a talking to. Or, I'm sure "nothing happened" in the public schools he attended that influenced the lad.

I hate ignorant hippies. This last summer, we had a salvage sale going on in the Fischer fire area, and Earth First hassled the sh*t out of us for it, slashed tires on like 30 rigs on the Forest Service compound, plastered the front office with posters one day. Some of the dumbest stuff on them too, like "Fischer Fire = excuse to log!" Just ignorant and uneducated.

Yeah, the media sucks too. Read a news article the other day about a proposed fuel reduction project on a ridge up here near Lake Wenatchee that is super thick with second growth, and the reporter put a slant to it like the Forest Service was going to clear cut it, and that it should not be done. If the flaming retards would just research a little, and get a copy of the plan that is available to the public, they would see a whole lot different picture. Enough of the spoiled city kids telling us what to do out in the sticks.

BRCCArborist said:
Give em a roll of plastic toilet paper to try

:D

And if that doesn't suit them, they can use this:

attachment.php

BRCCArborist said:
Give em a roll of plastic toilet paper to try and I have a feeling a lot of the protesting would stop.
Or a woodpecker or a gopher tortoise, I'd like to see.......no maybe not.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back