Deer damage, need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggo_2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I planted this weeping willow about 3 years ago, only pruning Ive done was to get rid of suckers and a co dominate. The deer have rubbed the last 2 years, and are leaving quite a scar. Is the any thing I should do to help it.
I guyed it back up because the wind bend it so bad to top was just about touching the ground.

From what I can tell it looks like the trunk is split into two and move seperatly when windy.

Thanks in advance. Justin

Justin, when you say the tree is split in two and moves separately, are you talking about a vertical split from the low limb? I am not seeing the exact damage you are talking about there.

As to the deer damage. They have really done a number here. Deer can kill a young tree with aggressive antler rubbing. So if you want to save this tree, you must stop that activity. The only way you can successfully do that, is to fence the tree. Deer generally will only rub from after velvet shed through the rut, so the fence could be taken down after if it really bothered you. However, they will then still munch on the tree; so it would be a good idea if you could leave the fence until this tree matures enough to have significant growth above their reach.

Sylvia

Back