Demand for face cords?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the firewood thing...only burned wood in the past/never sold any. All I have is a saw, splitter and small pick-up but I love working outside and I've managed to cut and split about 12 cords this year and I only need about 5. I can only get about a face cord in my truck so there's no way I want to be making three trips if I sold a cord of wood and I doubt many people who order a cord are going to pick it up. Therefore I'm thinking it's probably best to just offer face cords. Anybody else do it this way and how do you fare? Thanks!

Thanks TreeCo...I was a bean counter until I realized how much I hated being an office all day so I love numbers. 128 Cubic feet means a lot more to me than a cord so fractions will work for me.

Yes, I sell by the facecord and can sell everything I can make. I have two 60 facecord sheds (20" wood). I try to keep one in rotation for myself and sell the other each year. I meter it out with my facecord skidsteer attachment so people know exactly what they are getting.

I'm relatively new to the firewood thing...only burned wood in the past/never sold any. All I have is a saw, splitter and small pick-up but I love working outside and I've managed to cut and split about 12 cords this year and I only need about 5. I can only get about a face cord in my truck so there's no way I want to be making three trips if I sold a cord of wood and I doubt many people who order a cord are going to pick it up. Therefore I'm thinking it's probably best to just offer face cords. Anybody else do it this way and how do you fare? Thanks!

It's the only way I sell it (face cord). The people I deal with know what a face cord is and want to buy wood that way.

well, i dont even sell wood, usually, but a lot of people around here know I cut and burn it. Ive had a lot of calls this fall from people wanting wood. They all want the "pickup load." Im in the same boat, I see fractions of 128 and a sloped pile starts to get complicated. I have plenty of wood and dont mind getting rid of some, especially if it means some extra $, but id rather keep it than rip somebody off.

Anyway, my point is, demand for wood is up, way up. If you have it, people know, and they want it. Personally, Im gonna focus more on hoarding it than selling it, but i live in the middle of the largest grassland in the United States.:cheers:

Most people in upsate NY purchase wood by the facecord. Many will actually call it a cord of wood, but what they are actually refering to is a face cord, 16" x 8' x 4' or 1/3 of a cord. Seasoned, split, delivered, hard wood goes for between $70 to $80.

I am delivering for $75 this year, but as mentioned it's more like 40% of a cord. Everyone around here talks firewood in terms of facecords.

Most that are buying wood here are familiar with "the rick" of wood. Its just a stack of wood. Could be 3'X6'X14" or 4'X8'X20" it could be anything. My ad is for fractions of a cord 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 or Full cord. It also defines how a cord is measured There is a note on 1/3 cord that this is generally a 'rick' of wood.

It's funny when they show up , money in hand with a mini-van , to buy a 1/2 cord. Who knew they could get that much in there ? I guess they are used to other people selling them a stack where each layer is running in opposite directions and it will fit snugly in the back.

Up here people that buy wood are most interested in wood that fits their stove so selling wood by the face cord makes a lot of sense. Of coarse a face of 14" goes for less than a FC that's 20" long. imo selling by the face eliminates a lot of misunderstandings for the math challenged too.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if everyone did away with the terms "face cord" and "rick"...

Latest posts

Back