Diseased Maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoe2000

Reaction score
I have a mature maple that lost its leaves about a month early last fall. Nothing else seemed wrong at that point. Leaves changed colors and fell. This spring it bloomed and blossomed as normal. Then the blossoms died on the tree. It sprouted leaves only on the witches brooms, not on the branches. It appears to have some grey spots on the upper branches. I have a large yard full of mature ash and black walnut and some of those trees appear to be dying as well. Is anyone aware of a possible ailment that would affect those trees? Can anything be done to save the trees?

IMG_0439.jpg

I know these people...real good people. I have looked at the tree, and was stumped....(no pun intended). I told them to post here so you CA's can prove your value or not. From the samples I took, the cambdium layer seems dry as a bone, and white blotches show a significant reduction in bark thickness.

When it comes to removals, or trims, I can do pretty well, but diagnosis is not my specialty. However these people asked me for help, and I referred them here. (The only self-proclaimed certified arborist in this area is a total idiot, and his name is not on the ISA list on their website).

If there is some way I can give more info on this, or some tests I could run I would be happy to, if it would provide more info for the CA's here. Let me know how I can help, or if one of the Twin Cities arborists want to take a look at it you can contact me or pm them, or myself...I owe a few favors to the guy here.

Thanx for your help,

Red

Guy,

From the samples I took, the cambdium layer seems dry as a bone, and white blotches show a significant reduction in bark thickness

Salt symptoms, reverse osmosis?

I checked map and climate, is a snow area, they use salt on snow, perhaps runoff has contaminated the soil. Also PH test soil.

Read this http://www.science.org.au/nova/035/035key.htm it could also be that a lot of water has washed away the chlorine of sodium chloride (salt) and left you with sodium which is worse.

Soil test can be done for sodicity really easily.

There's a test known as Emerson Dispersion Test. Google it.

Basically you drop a small piece of soil into demineralised water, if the water gets cloudy you got sodicity ... bad news but can be treated with gypsum.

YOu're on the right track; soil test is Job #1. Talk to your county ag ext agent ofc. It's cheap if not free.

Good one TreeCo

How easy the last test would be, just look for the green streaks inside.

What about the shrinking branches with grey spots and mature ash, black walnut also carking it. Will that wilt get those species too?

Treeseer, Treeco, Ekko, the rest, thanks for your responses. The links that Treeco sent, were very helpful. As far as salt goes, the tree is far enough away from the roadway to make the issue na, as far as the site goes, they had added a flowerbed around the trunk of the tree, however the soil has only been raised about three inches, and they used a potting soil. Granted probably not the best idea for a tree, but I think far from devastating.

I think Treeco hit it pretty well. Zoe said she would post some pictures of the samples I took. The discoloration did not seem to be the color of the photos in the link, but I am guessing the tree is far enough along that even the fungus is drying up due to lack of nutrients, thus turning a dark brown, rather than the green given in the examples.

As far as affecting the other trees on their lot, I believe there are multiple problems. I asked Zoe again to post a close up of the bark on one of her ash trees, I think is invaded by EAB, although I did not see any of the bugs themselves, the boring in the bark seemed pretty indicative of the type of damage done by EAB. The walnut seemed to be just shaded out in some areas due to a robust canopy on some of the trees around it. Overall condition I thought of the walnut was pretty good, just some lower dead ones.

Thanks again for your posts, and if Zoe posts those pictures please give me your opinions. I value your input highly.

Thanx,

Red

Diseased Maple?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a mature maple that lost its leaves about a month early last fall. Nothing else seemed wrong at that point. Leaves changed colors and fell. This spring it bloomed and blossomed as normal. Then the blossoms died on the tree. It sprouted leaves only on the witches brooms, not on the branches. It appears to have some grey spots on the upper branches. I have a large yard full of mature ash and black walnut and some of those trees appear to be dying as well. Is anyone aware of a possible ailment that would affect those trees? Can anything be done to save the trees?

Witches Brooms, early leaf drop........... Has the tree been tapped for sugar? We had a pretty severe drought out east last year........how bout you folks?
How close is the Maple tree to the Walnut tree? and what is the diameter of the Maple, Walnut/s, and Ash trees in the immediate vicinity.

Are the leaves on the Ash kinda twisty (poor description sorry) or odd looking compared to a healthy one in the neighborhood?

Some pictures of the site would be wonderful

Was their a family gathering (party of sorts) around and/or beneath the tree or cars and equipment parked underneath it?

Some close up picts of the Ash and Maple leaves and twigs would be nice too.

:greenchainsaw:

Here is the sample with the brown discoloration.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

I do have some hostas and ferns planted around the base of the maple. We did that 8 years ago. I can't imagine that could suddenly be a problem. The tree was never tapped. Oldugly felt that several of our maples look dry/stressed this year, despite it not being a drought year.

And then the ash bark. I left the image large so you could see the small holes slightly to the right of the center of the pictures. The ash leaves look fine. It just seems to be dying branch to branch. We took off one large limb because it was dead and had no leaves. There is another limb that could go now as well.

IMG_0484.jpg

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

Latest posts

Back