Divine intervention, good luck, or both?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Well I did some cutting yesterday. We had a work day at the church for a shut-in member. Turns out that the member's son must have been out of drug/beer/cigarette money, and he called a logging crew in to clear her several acres of property. The front of her house faces a busy road, and it used to be pretty heavily wooded. After the logging, it was just the typical wasteland. The woman is in a powered wheelchair, and cannot do ANYTHING to straighten it out. The loggers finished a year ago, but we just became aware of just how badly she wanted to be able to look out the window at something decent.

I loaded up on trimmers, brush cutters, saws, and everything else I though I could need and met up with the guys. All of the stumps were left about 18-24" off the ground. I assume this was to protect the loggers chains. Well I don't like stumping with my 440, but that is what I had. I had brought 3 good 28" chains, so I decided to start with the new one and hope I got a few done before hitting a rock. I was pretty careful about clearing debris around the bottom, but I know the saw was being guided from above. I flush-cut a bunch of those stumps, and the chain is still quite sharp. It could use a touch up, but will still throw nice chips. I didn't hit one rock, or even get into the dirt. I brought an 038 for backup, and only ended up using it because I wanted to try it out at stumping.

The brushcutters were running on divine intervention also. I had an FS-74 I got off CL recently on the cheap. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the lines, and got it ready to sell in the spring. One of the guys got ahold of that, and started running it HARD. He had it PINNED for over an hour while running a metal blade (little to no load.) The guy never let off the throttle. I guess he thought it was like an electric motor. I figured it wouldn't last 10 minutes since it was probably running 12K+. Two tanks of fuel later, it was running strong as ever. I also had a pair of FS-80's along, one of which is put together from a bunch of crappy parts. I started off using it, but decided the gearhead was whining too much and set it down. Another guy wanted to use it, so I greased the head with my bar-tip grease gun and sent him away. I figured that would not last 10 minutes either. He ended up re-spooling the string TWICE on that crummy old trimmer after running it for several hours.......

All in all a good day for everyone. The old woman has a much better looking yard, and none of my stuff broke. Only casualty was the gallon of MY premium gas and synthetic oil premix they used to start the fires (!!!)

Last edited:
Good deeds done by all of you!! I am sure she appreciated all the help!

I am confident that the stumps were left that high because the cutter thought that they would be removed by an excavator in the near future. It is common practice to leave stumps kind of high so that they are easier to remove. They give a guy something to push against when they are high like that.

Bob

Well I did some cutting yesterday. We had a work day at the church for a shut-in member. Turns out that the member's son must have been out of drug/beer/cigarette money, and he called a logging crew in to clear her several acres of property. The front of her house faces a busy road, and it used to be pretty heavily wooded. After the logging, it was just the typical wasteland. The woman is in a powered wheelchair, and cannot do ANYTHING to straighten it out. The loggers finished a year ago, but we just became aware of just how badly she wanted to be able to look out the window at something decent.

I loaded up on trimmers, brush cutters, saws, and everything else I though I could need and met up with the guys. All of the stumps were left about 18-24" off the ground. I assume this was to protect the loggers chains. Well I don't like stumping with my 440, but that is what I had. I had brought 3 good 28" chains, so I decided to start with the new one and hope I got a few done before hitting a rock. I was pretty careful about clearing debris around the bottom, but I know the saw was being guided from above. I flush-cut a bunch of those stumps, and the chain is still quite sharp. It could use a touch up, but will still throw nice chips. I didn't hit one rock, or even get into the dirt. I brought an 038 for backup, and only ended up using it because I wanted to try it out at stumping.

The brushcutters were running on divine intervention also. I had an FS-74 I got off CL recently on the cheap. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the lines, and got it ready to sell in the spring. One of the guys got ahold of that, and started running it HARD. He had it PINNED for over an hour while running a metal blade (little to no load.) The guy never let off the throttle. I guess he thought it was like an electric motor. I figured it wouldn't last 10 minutes since it was probably running 12K+. Two tanks of fuel later, it was running strong as ever. I also had a pair of FS-80's along, one of which is put together from a bunch of crappy parts. I started off using it, but decided the gearhead was whining too much and set it down. Another guy wanted to use it, so I greased the head with my bar-tip grease gun and sent him away. I figured that would not last 10 minutes either. He ended up re-spooling the string TWICE on that crummy old trimmer after running it for several hours.......

All in all a good day for everyone. The old woman has a much better looking yard, and none of my stuff broke. Only casualty was the gallon of MY premium gas and synthetic oil premix they used to start the fires (!!!)

That deserve a rep and here it is

Anyone have a good idea on a cheap way to get the rest of the stumps ground out of there? I have never fooled with stump grinding before. There was a guy on CL near here with one of those portable 3120 powered ones, but the wife was balking at the $1600 price tag.... Go figure.

Mrs. Saw Dr wanted to know if I mentioned that she was out there helping and tossing around some fairly large logs. I told her then you guys would demand pics, which I did not take. :eek2:

Anyone have any ideas on the remaining stumps? Does that stump-rot stuff work?

How many stumps are we talking about? Your best bet would be renting a stumper for a weekend. Should be able to get one for saturday and sunday pretty cheap. I would call around and find the largest one available. Diesels are the way to go.

Or find an old hillybilly with a tow behind stumper that does it on the side. Lots of guys like that out there. Have him give ya a discount rate for the quantity.

I second that on the stump grinder, Saw Dr. We did 13 stump's on one jump in less than a day's work. I second that on the rental, or hire out. Around here we can get one for 275 and up a day. Like said call around for pricing with the economy rental yard's are competitive, and will work on pricing. They are easy to run, and pick up on by the time you are done with the first stump, you get the main drift of it. And to hire out was 75-100 bucks an hour. Im sure it's gone up here. Most affordable route would be to rent one, and run it youreself I think as well. P.S I just Rep'd you as well.

I didn't count, but I think that there are 25-30 stumps. Some are as small as 12" across, and some were slightly bigger than my 28" bar. If I do nothing, I suspect that they will not rot in the old woman's lifetime. I just want to make it look nice, and probably get some grass going there even if it is just crabgrass.

SawDoc, I noticed my your avatar your partial to mac's but I always thought those cheap little Beaver Macs were meant for roots. My buddy treats his saw like crap, and I have witnessed more than once him killing chains cutting stumps out of the ground. We nicknamed his little Mac "the Root Saw". That or a backhoe. Is what I use. Good Luck

good job on helping others! i would do some research and find someone with a stump grinder,,, we had a local guy come do 3 or 4 at my parents and he charged like 20 bux or so but they were small good luck:cheers:

I didn't count, but I think that there are 25-30 stumps. Some are as small as 12" across, and some were slightly bigger than my 28" bar. If I do nothing, I suspect that they will not rot in the old woman's lifetime. I just want to make it look nice, and probably get some grass going there even if it is just crabgrass.

You could grind all of those easily in 2 days, maybe one day if you have a good grinder with sharp teeth. It just depends on how big they are. A 12" stump takes just a few minutes with a big grinder. The cleanup always takes longer. A lot longer.

Use a 1 inch spade drill bit amd drill several holes in the stump as deep as you can then fill them with kerosene. When that is asorbed refill them 3 or 4 times. Then set them on fire. If you refill them enough it will burn the stump and roots also. The reason to use kerosene is the molecules are smaller and will be asorbed.
My father was a ginner for most of his adult life and he told me that was what they used to put out a cotton bale that was on fire. Water would run off, but kersone would be asorbed by the bale and smother the fire. Tom

expermenting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back